Inducing a schooling trigger in tetras etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if anybody has any experience with keeping a semi-aggressive small fish with tetras, or a "seemingly" aggressive fish (in the eyes of the tetras) to try to get closer schools? Even without any physical aggression from your "anti-dither" fish (What would it be called?) would this cause stress in the tetras (my case) I was thinking something like a small school of tiger barbs could accomplish this.

I kept TBs with Pristella Tetras (regarded as some of the hardiest tetras) and they Pristellas schooled (there was one dody-do who schooled with the Tiger Barbs at first though) pretty tightly. There was fin nippage though.

Depending on your tank size, I would look at a small/mid-size SA cichlid.

I wonder how fish determine a threat? Is it instinctual (big teeth=bad?) or is it more from action (fish chasing=bad). I think it's some sort of combination, but how do fish know how to react to a fish isn't present with it in the wild? I guess there might be relatives of the fish, that cause a general response (Kind of like T cells in the body, I think, where if you're immune to one strain, you have a kind of general (weaker) immunity).

Try increasing the current in the tank. Schooling give the fish a hydrodynamic advantage, allowing them to expend less energy.

Cool, I didn't know that. I'm imagining Stealth right now when they went into that cheesy formation :p. The entire time I was thinking what about the backwash :p.

Anyways, ty :)

i have a rianbow shark and some bala sharks with my tetra, they dont scare the tetras, they chase the skarks around lol ! i wish my emperor tetra would school :(

I could never get my emperor tetras to school because there was never enough of them at the store, so the most I had at one time was 2.

Also, bala shark with tetras might be a bad idea eventually. Rainbow sharks get pretty big as well. Emperors are kind of big though, but I'm assuming the other tetras you have are neons or cardinals.

no bloodfins, and serpae, but i wouldnt mind getting a few cardinals. and i find it funny becuase i have a tetra vigger then my bala shark. i only had 3 emerors becuase i only had room for a few, then i upgraded and wanted alot more but there was only females left and i need both females and males, im donw to 2 females now, still looking for more :(

My one, very bold, diamond tetra (female) has successfully harassed to death 6 males and 3 female diamond tetras. I could not sex them at the age I bought them. I have given up trying to get new diamonds as they all just hide from her and stop eating. My von rios (About 1/3 the size of the diamond) are all doing well though.

Also, more along the with the topic of the thread, I notice my von rios are always schooling together when they move about the tank. When they are in a corner they will stray from the pack a bit but never to the other side of the tank. I think this has a lot to do with my large koi angel.

Has there been any actual aggression with the angel or is it kind of the threat of aggression that is shaping the movement?

The only actual aggression on the angels part is when she laid eggs. She would be fanning the eggs and if the school came by her she would chase them all back to 'their' corner of the tank. I don't think the angel could actually catch any of the tankmates (diamonds, von rios, neons).

I wasn't aware gender mattered as much in tetras?

the male emperor tetra has very large and pretty fins with brighjt blue eyes, and the females have normal fins and bright green eyes. but other then that it doesnt matter, but i want to breed mine so i would like to have an even amount.

i found mine to be very peacful towards themselves and others. i havent found a tetra with anger promblems...yet .

My one, very bold, diamond tetra (female) has successfully harassed to death 6 males and 3 female diamond tetras. I could not sex them at the age I bought them. I have given up trying to get new diamonds as they all just hide from her and stop eating. My von rios (About 1/3 the size of the diamond) are all doing well though.

I haven't yet, but I guess they're out there ><

I had a Von Rio tetra that killed all of his tetra buddies. He also killed at least one hatchet. Eventually he lived alone in the tank for months.

I think it all really boils down to the temperament of the individual fish. I haven't noticed any bullies with my von rios - other than the occasional chaser.

Back
Top Bottom