Inexperience may make DIY more expensive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoking

Aquarium Advice Regular
Inexperience may make do-it-yourself projects more expensive | NBC17.com

Thought this was an interesting FIY for inexperienced DIY's like myself. Inexperience definitely can make it more costly. What I started to do is approach a DIY more slowly and do some research to see if I can even handle doing it myself.

At first the idea of building my own stand was terrifying but then I spent weeks studying other's DIY stand projects and got inspired.

Buying something is so much more desirable for me and because I recognize this desire, I have to throw myself into a DIY mind mode, this helps me stay motivated instead of discouraged.

I also believe practice makes one better so it's ok to make some mistakes, just keep tabs on how that mistake is going to cost you in tools, labor, material, etc.

DIY might make something more expensive in the beginning but the more you do it the better it will become (and the less expensive) so in the long run you will win. Plus there is nothing better than telling someone you did it yourself and didn't buy it.

From my experience of building stuff like an aquarium stand, entertainment center, book shelves, etc., it may be a little more expensive, but it's generally of much higher quality and with better quality lumber. It definitely adds up when needing to buy tools along the way, but once you have a decent collection it's not too bad. Certainly takes a lot more time to build something from scratch, but as Smitty says, the reward of knowing you built it when you look at it and can share that joy with others is worth a little extra cost :)

The thing that scares me is I'll look at it and think that's ugly DOH!!! I"m more afraid of how it will look than the building itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom