Inferno's Fluval Spec V planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Barliman.

The loach should be able to live there I thought (he is a baby) and I can move him to another tank (friends 20 gallon) when adult. You think not?

And I did pull out that plant BTW.

I read a few site descriptions of loaches and my water parameters are good etc. For a baby one I thought I was set. I lost three shrimp too...Do you think the filter isn't pumping enough to provide adequate 02? If you look at the video that thing is pumping...

:confused:

:fish2:

There are many different types of loaches (with different requirements). HillStream loaches, for which the butterflies can be grouped with, prefer cool (64-72 F), well oxygenated, clean, and often fast moving water. Not ideal for most plants. Amano shrimp do better in warmer temperatures (72-80). Shrimp deaths can be due to various conditions such as improper shipping, handling, or acclimatization (to your tank's conditions), too low or too high KH, lack of calcium, toxins, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So looking at your tank, the plant on the left (green and yellow stripe looking one) is a terrestrial plant and will rot as time goes on. The one on the far right I'm not sure what that is, almost looks like a bamboo to me, if it is, it won't last either (but need better look at it to ID it)
Your tank is nice though. If you are looking to a red plant, look into 'crypt wendtii red' they are low light slow growing, but once they fill out they look great. They are root feeders however so would need root tabs near then to feed from.

ALso if the other plant is indeed micro sword, you might consider breaking up the clumps and spreading them out a little more, should give you more plant coverage and when they fill in you could have a carpet effect. They two are root feeders as far as I know.

Oh and an additional note, the java fern (windelov) will deteriorate if it is planted, I know someone mentioned it already. You need the rhizome above the substrate. You can use a rubber band, cable tie, superglue, fishing line, cotton thread or another method to stick it where you need it until the roots grow in and take hold. (The rhizome is the thick green rope like thing that the leaves are growing from)

Types of plants in tank:

Dan,

Thanks for your feedback and thanks to Fresh2o~

These are the plants in my tank:

-Dracaena sanderiana
-Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae (think that is the mini swords)
-Eustralis stellata
-Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
and
-Hemigraphis colorata

The bolded ones I have learned are NOT aquarium plants; you are right about the bamboo. I have heard some cases where it has survived. We will see. But I already pulled the coloratura out as it died.

For replacement plants I was thinking of a red dwarf lily bulb in the center and keeping it trimmed.

The Mini swords are not doing all that well TBH. Not sure If I planted them too deep of I put too much sand over the undersoil. :(

As far as the plant on the top right that one is still all good! not sure which he is on that list now (I think the Eustralis Stellata) but it is doing OK.

Thanks a lot!

Dan,

Thanks for your feedback and thanks to Fresh2o~

These are the plants in my tank:

-Dracaena sanderiana
-Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae (think that is the mini swords)
-Eustralis stellata
-Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
and
-Hemigraphis colorata

The bolded ones I have learned are NOT aquarium plants; you are right about the bamboo. I have heard some cases where it has survived. We will see. But I already pulled the coloratura out as it died.

For replacement plants I was thinking of a red dwarf lily bulb in the center and keeping it trimmed.

The Mini swords are not doing all that well TBH. Not sure If I planted them too deep of I put too much sand over the undersoil. :(

As far as the plant on the top right that one is still all good! not sure which he is on that list now (I think the Eustralis Stellata) but it is doing OK.

Thanks a lot!

In currently growing mini swords to carpet my tank and there struggling abit too, I've turned up my lighting to high and dosing 2bps and upped my fert dosing (high light pps pro method) and they were pearling yesterday so hopefully they pick up abit. I'm read a fair bit about them and people have said they just don't grow in some tanks :(

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

In currently growing mini swords to carpet my tank and there struggling abit too, I've turned up my lighting to high and dosing 2bps and upped my fert dosing (high light pps pro method) and they were pearling yesterday so hopefully they pick up abit. I'm read a fair bit about them and people have said they just don't grow in some tanks :(

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Possibly the hardness or pH of the water?

How do you lower hardness. My water is crazy hard too apparently I was misreading it.

What are your KH and GH readings?

To soften water you can add peat to the filter or too harden it you can add crushed coral.
You don't want to have your KH drop below about 4 though or pH swing can occur which can be deadly to fish.

Where do you buy peat?

I think foster and smith sell it. Just be aware it will stain your water a tea color and can lower your pH.

I'd test your KH, GH and pH before going ahead and getting some though.

Fluval Spec Vee w Update #6

Sooo...

A lot has happened since this tanks planting...and subsequent death of fishes and plants and now I have balanced (I hope for the last time) the nitrites and ammonia in this tank. I have also removed all "land" plants and now have all aquatic species in here. The ONLY living occupant is a nirite snail (and he survived where the shrimp and butterfly loach have not).

Does anyone know what all of the "dirt" on the white sand is?
Do plants produce that much waste?
Can a snail poop that much?!

Just trying to figure out what I am continually vacc'ing out.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 59
Love the second photo. Looks very serene.

That's probably snail plop. I believe they do produce an obscene amount of waste for their size.

You think this is snail poop? If that is the case Im getting rid of the snail after it cycles!!

Gross~:whip:

Attachments

• IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 64
You think this is snail poop? If that is the case Im getting rid of the snail after it cycles!!

Gross~:whip:

When I had nerites they would move around with about 4 of those little brown things stuck to their backsides nearly all the time. They do make a lot of mess. Very disturbing to see just how much one can do between gravel vacs.

That's a special blend of snail manufactured plant food.

Back
Top Bottom