Infertile eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-Smeezy7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have eggs but no pairs in my tank. A convict and firemouth guard them cooperatively 24/7. My guess is nothing will come of it but is there a reason for this? Also I believe the convict is female and I have done nothing significant to the water conditions or temperature if that helps.

can convicts and firemouths hybridize? if both guard them it seems like a pair has formed

To me It almost seems like some are tan and some are white. I'll try posting a picture but the convict is right on top of them most of the time.

Well ill look forward to the pics. If they a light amberish color they're fertile if clear-white there not. Hope that helps.

Id say they are fertile... Do you have a male nd female the female has orange on the belly like the pics males dont

Ya Its a female convict and a firemouth. Not sure how to sex a firemouth but they both fiercely defend the eggs like they were a pair. I have never seen or even heard of the two species breeding before if that's what this is.

Hmmmm lol i read online that males flair and show more agression... Urs flare at all. Puff out gills?

Well idk, ummm try looking up firemouth sexing... Nd im not sure the eggs are hard to see, could go either way...

I really think it is possible they can cross breed. I'd google it but my service here is spotty.

I think they were infertile because when I woke up this morning all eggs were gone. I guess they abandoned them.

Back
Top Bottom