info on discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iwantareef16

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have scrapped the sw tank and have deciced to do a 125 gal heavily planted discus tannk and wanted some info on discus and also are they an easy fish to keep care of?

If you want discus in a planted tank then it is better to get adults if you want fully grown discus with the plants.

If you want to grow juvenile discus it is way better to start with a group of 6 to 8 juveniles in a bare bottom tank, feed heavily (6-10 small meals a day) and do daily water changes. Once the smaller fish have grown to full size then set up the planted tank.

Of course you could set up the planted tank with cardinals and cories and oto's and grow out the fish in a 55 or 70 gal tank if you have the facilities then when they reach almost fully grown size pick the best to go in the planted tank. You could grow out 6 discus in a 55 gal tank if you do the required daily water changes.

Discus are easy to take care of if your pH does not fluctuate and your water is clean. Don't worry too much about hardness, unless of course your water is liquid granite :lol: . You need to keep water quality up. Start with a full cycled cycled tank and after you add your fish make sure nitrates do not go above 5 ppm. (You will need a good quality test kit). Get you discus from a good source. Cary from Great Lakes Discus has a good reputation. He has a web page and he ships high quality Discus. He ships them well. I have not heard bad reports.

I hope that helps. I am sure I have missed something. BrianNY is an experienced discus keeper. I am sure he will add anything I have over looked.

Back
Top Bottom