Info on otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oto's are one of my favorites also. They are very underrated. They really are an unobtrusive little fish that minds its own business, doesn't bug anybody else in the tank, and eats all the algae you can grow. And they are also inexpensive!

I too am an otocinclus fan. They are very popular, but are also very delicate, and if there is a dearth of brown algae they can starve, so be sure to provide veggies and an algae tab or two from time to time. They need a school to be happy, too.

Otos will also eat green algae, though I believe only ppl with planted tanks have green algae problems much... rust is far more common in lower-light situations! My otos gorge themselves on the absolutely excessive amt of green algae created by my 150 watts of light.

Just FYI, coz I know TankGirl meant this too, but didn't mention it...

However, it must be said also that I've never found a better rust-algae eater than the otocinclus!

I'm thinking of getting 5 cories and 5 otos for my 58 gal since I have a little bit of rust-algae.

I have a plastic-planted tank (36 x 18 in).

Would 10 bottomdwellers be too many?
How often do you throw them an algae wafer or zuchinni? I don't have much tank algae.
Do oto cats require driftwood like plecos?

QTOFFER, I think the 10 bottomdwellers you mention would be perfect for a 58gal. Otos do not utilize the lignin in driftwood, so it is not necessary. I use zuchinni about twice a week, but I have only 3 otos, so put some in and see how quickly they consume it, then you will have an idea of how often they might like it. Get some sinking pellets for the cories, and be sure your substrate is smooth so it doesn't damage their wee little barbels.

Incidentally, Madasafish, my otos do not touch green algae! A while back when I first upgraded my lights I had a nearly devastating case of green algae on everything, and the otos sat idly by, yawning, in fact... :? I had to actually feed them veggies so they would not perish. Go figure.

One of my otos is now giganticly pregnant, from above she looks so crazy, like she swallowed a nickel. I am waiting for eggs...wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom