Information on Snowflake Moray Eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I think most of you recognize me as the extreme beginner to SW. I recently found a Snowflake Moray Eel, and the site SAID it was for beginners. What are his basic needs?

P.S. I am also actively researching this fish, so don't criticize me for only asking here...:thanks:

Please, look on this site before posting a thread. I just responded to a similar thread that contains all the information you need to know. It is called snowflake mory eels just like your thread. And if your tank isnt a 50 or up i would stop researching the fish

It is a 55 gallon tank. That thread was great but how much live rock do I have to add? HOw do you secure the lid so he doesn't escape? What are the foods that he has to eat?

They need alot of rock so go with 60-70 or so pounds of rock. As long as the lid covers the whole top i dont think the eel will be able to get out. You could make it harder to get out by placing things on top, just dont have any openings. They will eat alot of differant foods. Silverslides, worms etc. If you would like to get small fish you cant get the eel. If you would like to buy inverts you cant get the eel, if you would like it to be a reef tank with corals, you cant get the eel.

They are excellent escape artist so you`ll need a tight fitting lid. They love to eat shrimp. I would always buy some raw shrimp from the grocery store and cut it in thirds and feed them. Here was mine as he died a year or two back.

100_1859.jpg

I have mine in a 55 gallon reef he does well make sure hesfed I usetongs to get it to him so I know he's eating

Nu-Nu the eel said:
If you would like to get small fish you cant get the eel. If you would like to buy inverts you cant get the eel, if you would like it to be a reef tank with corals, you cant get the eel.

I do not agree with what Nu Nu says here. I have a snowflake and he is the most gentle creature I have ever had in my tank. He never bothers any of my other fish (the majority of which are tiny compared to him and smaller than his mouth), he has harmed not one of my more than 70 different coral, and all of my crabs are untouched. I feed him every 3-4 days about 3-4 silversides. Couldn't be happier.

If you would like to get small fish you cant get the eel. If you would like to buy inverts you cant get the eel, if you would like it to be a reef tank with corals, you cant get the eel.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to correct you on this. A well-fed Snowflake will not go after other fish, nor will they harm immobile invertebrates (corals, clams, feather dusters, etc.) They will go after motile invertebrates like shrimp, but they will leave pretty much everything else alone. The only issue with keeping a moray in a reef is the amount of waste they produce, and Snowflake eels produce only a miniscule amount compared with bigger fish like groupers or even other morays. That being said, you're spot-on about having a tight-fitting cover for the aquarium. You'd be surprised what size hole they can get out of.

Try to give him as varied a diet as possible; never stick to just one food source like silversides or shrimp. Mine have always received a diet of shrimp, fish, clam, squid and crab. You can feed them feeder fish on the end of tongs, but I would highly recommend against it due to the lack of nutrition in feeder fish. These eels take readily to prepared meaty foods, so feeding them live foods should never need to be an option.

TheWonderfulWub said:
Sorry, but I'm going to have to correct you on this. A well-fed Snowflake will not go after other fish, nor will they harm immobile invertebrates (corals, clams, feather dusters, etc.) They will go after motile invertebrates like shrimp, but they will leave pretty much everything else alone. The only issue with keeping a moray in a reef is the amount of waste they produce, and Snowflake eels produce only a miniscule amount compared with bigger fish like groupers or even other morays. That being said, you're spot-on about having a tight-fitting cover for the aquarium. You'd be surprised what size hole they can get out of.

Try to give him as varied a diet as possible; never stick to just one food source like silversides or shrimp. Mine have always received a diet of shrimp, fish, clam, squid and crab. You can feed them feeder fish on the end of tongs, but I would highly recommend against it due to the lack of nutrition in feeder fish. These eels take readily to prepared meaty foods, so feeding them live foods should never need to be an option.

We will just have to agree to disagree. There are many stories of snowflake eels going after fish. Clowns, gobys, firefish are prey just to name a few. Shrimp will get eaten, and the eel will knock over the corals and stuff. They are very agressive fish

I have kept many morays and have worked with them in the wild. They are a carnivorous predator, all of them. Yes, you can keep a fat and happy one, but I guarantee he is capable of eating anything he can tear up. They are remarkable fish and worth keeping in a tank designed for them and other predators. My favorite snowflake died after jumping so hard he tore the tank top off. They are amazingly strong and just get stronger as they get bigger.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
We will just have to agree to disagree. There are many stories of snowflake eels going after fish. Clowns, gobys, firefish are prey just to name a few. Shrimp will get eaten, and the eel will knock over the corals and stuff. They are very agressive fish

this depends on the specific eel personality i also kept one in a tank with many coral and small fish he was the least aggressive out of everyone i had to remove my clowns because they were bullying and take food from my eels mouth he never touched shrimp or any inverts my rock was secure so coral was fine that being said one at a pet shop i was working at could only b kept alone and he would go after fingers same species snowflake same size full grown different temperament

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom