Initial Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabordan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I wish I would have listened to the other pet store owner and just bought "live water". Now I am trying to get some mollies to survive in my new 28 gallon Nano Tank and the mollies can barely keep up with currents in this thing.:fish1: I think I have finally found the best setting for them but I have lost 5 out of 6 mollies.:( Anyway, with only one mollie and one live rock in the tank, I have not developed any ammonia, nitrites or anything. Now that I think I have the currents under control, should I just buy more mollies? Or, is there another option without starting over? I really don't want to start over :facepalm: but I will if that is what it takes to do this right. I am planning to talk to the pet store owner that I should have listened to in the first place, but I am afraid he may unecessarily send me down the path of starting over!!? Should I continue with the mollies?

What is live water? If you do buy more mollies, then acclimate properly. Are you only buying them to cycle your tank?

Initial Problems

I found out that live water is just water that is pretreated with salt. Anyway, I ended up adding a little more live rock and then we are putting to clowns in on Tuesday. No more mollies!!!:) Then I will just have to wait for it to cycle properly.

Pretreated with salt? I'm thinking you are saying it is pre-mixed. It takes time to dissolve any marine salt and water. Fish stores sell pre-mixed water. Ok so now you have pre-mixed salt water. Be sure to measure the salt level often. The salt level shouldn't be fluctuating.

Now you have live rocks. How many pounds of live rocks do you have inside your 28g?

Get a water test kit if you don't already have one. What are the reading on your water parameters (ie ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Make sure to completely cycle your system before adding a clown fish.

What else do you have inside your tank beside live rocks? Any filters or powerhead?

I have to agree with Terrance and say that adding clowns after losing five fish would be a huge mistake. Definitely get a test kit or have your lfs test your water until you have zero ammonia and nitrite. Then think about adding the clowns.

I wouldnt buy clowns for your tank yet! Let your aquarium settle down, get everything you need for it under control first.
And get all the live rock u wana add and put it all in! Also get your currents right, once your tank finnaly cycle's, which means 0 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates, then i would add clowns.
Also once you think your tank is cycled you can always bring some of your aquarium water to your fish shop and they can check it for you just to make sure!
Okay well good luck

I don't belive your tank is cycled at all. Buy a raw shrimp from the grocery store, throw it in, and let it rot. That will stat your cycle. I strongly advise that you invest in a test kit for yourself. The API Saltwater Master Kit is about $20 online or about $34 at a LFS. It will get you pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Also invest in a refractometer. Bulk reef supply sells one for about $30. Hydrometers are actually harder to read and less accurate. You should expect to see ammonia climb and begin to fall with a rise in nitrites followed by a fall. Nitrates will begin to rise and steadily climb throughout the cycle. Once ammonia and nitrites have both dropped to zero, you'll want to do a large water change to drop the nitrates down to less than 10ppm.

Cycling with fish is hard and in the long run will prove to be frustrating and more expensive.

Well I bought a test kit and I don't there is not a shread of nitrites or amonia so I am assuming the process has not even begun yet. I think the only question at this time is which fish to use through this process. The pet shop guy says that the two clowns can handle the process with no problem. I think I might just add another mollie or two so that I am spending $2.00 a pop instead of $34, unless of course he wants to guarantee the clowns through the process!!!!

I will let you know how it goes. :)

:thanks:

Its cheaper and more efficient if you do the fishless cycling method. Go to Ace Hardware store and buy a bottle of Ace Ammonina. It cost less than two dollars and you don't have to worry about the fish dying. The bottle is enough to cycle over a dozen tanks. Put a few drops in every day or every other day. Test the water every few days. You will be done with cycling after you see 0 ammonia and nitrIte.

Just a few drops. There is no exact measurement. As long as you get an ammonia reading, then its enough. Adding too much may hinder the cycle. There is a faster way to cycle a tank doing the fishless cycling method, but its too much trouble for the average hobbyist.

Back
Top Bottom