Injured auratus! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melynnda88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have raised this guy since he was a fry in his mamas mouth (I extracted him and 15 others myself! :-D). Of the 16 in total 3 lived, 1 male and 2 female.. Since they were all over 2-3 inches long I decided it was time to introduce them back into the big tank with all the other matured cichlids I have. Since the time of their birth however, I lost 3 adult auratus, leaving one large male...when I added the 3 little ones, the girls did great... However my big male didn't like the new little male very much, resulting in a near death experience, as can be seen in the pic below. I rescued him, returned him ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424916744.707030.jpgto his little tank with my gourami and fan tail gold fish and am now awaiting his recuperation. I added some water conditioner as the bottle says it's good for injured fish & he seems to be doing better. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should do. Do I continue to add water conditioner periodically? His tail is pretty severely damaged. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know he's injured but I wouldn't risk putting a auratus with peaceful fish injured or not lol. But you should rehome one of the males two male auratus in one tank will turn into one. And clean water and water changes is best for him to recover.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He grew up with the gourami and the goldfish from a fry.. He picks on them, but they've lived lol! I basically want to get him back to health and see if I can either sell him or get a credit at a nearby fish store.

He grew up with the gourami and the goldfish from a fry.. He picks on them, but they've lived lol! I basically want to get him back to health and see if I can either sell him or get a credit at a nearby fish store.

His caudal fin is too far gone to regrow...

Hyper-salinate your water, 2 tbls per gallon. This will help your injured fish breathe better and heal.

Back
Top Bottom