Injured Oscar - help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramona_boner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On inspection of my tank this morning I found my little baby oscars eye half pulled out... It's all white and funky looking.
I think it may have been my convict but I was under the impression they would be okay as tank mates!

What should I do to fix the Oscar?
And I suppose I should take this as a sign to loose the convict?

Attachments

• image-3840181168.jpg
    image-3840181168.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3375052917.jpg
    image-3375052917.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 98
That doesn't look good at all..what else is in the tank? Do you have convicts pairs by chance? Do frequent water changes and possibly add some salt to help it heal.

I have silver dollars and an upside down Asian cat in there, don't think they are the perpetrators. I didn't buy a pair of convicts because I was worried about them becoming territorial and teaming up on the little Oscar.

I think his eye has been removed, but he seems to be okay other than this injury.

I am About to do a 25% water change, how often should I do this while he is hurt? Normally I do this once every 10 days.

How much salt? And what kind of salt?!

Even when he isn't hurt you should change more water, more often. But in this case I would do no less than 50% every couple days, most pristine water conditions right now are crucial for healing. Clean water is the best medicine

unfortunatley your guy will more then likley lose the eye. have no fear i have seen plenty of oscars lose an eye and live a healthy normal life. as stated above do weekly water changes never more then 25% a week and keep freshwater aquarium salts in the tank. if you notice any signs of fungus starting to grow immediatley medicate. usually convicts though fiesty arent too bad unless they form mating pairs. it could be popeye too late to know what caused it now all you can do is hope for the best and take all precautions possible.

That looks a little bit like Popeye to me. Although, it seems odd if it developed like that overnight. I'd research popeye a little more or wait for some more experienced members to weigh in on it.

unfortunatley your guy will more then likley lose the eye. have no fear i have seen plenty of oscars lose an eye and live a healthy normal life. as stated above do weekly water changes never more then 25% a week and keep freshwater aquarium salts in the tank. if you notice any signs of fungus starting to grow immediatley medicate. usually convicts though fiesty arent too bad unless they form mating pairs. it could be popeye too late to know what caused it now all you can do is hope for the best and take all precautions possible.

I seriously disagree with some of this advice.

There is no reason to limit to a 25% PWC per week. I consider a good week when I do two 50% water changes. Trust me, I'd do more for my big tank if I could. Serious Discus owners are known to change 75% water daily.

I don't see how aquarium salt with help. However, Epsom salt would likely be helpful for reducing the swelling.

i recommended the salt to help keep the stress of the oscar down and keep his electrolyes up and i just dont see the need in this case for more then 25% weekly howeve more def wouldnt hurt just thought it to be overkill in this case.

I seriously disagree with some of this advice.

There is no reason to limit to a 25% PWC per week. I consider a good week when I do two 50% water changes. Trust me, I'd do more for my big tank if I could. Serious Discus owners are known to change 75% water daily.

I don't see how aquarium salt with help. However, Epsom salt would likely be helpful for reducing the swelling.

Salt will help for the stress and also helps aid in the healing process. Almost the same as you would rinse your mouth out with salty water after a mouth surgery. I also agree with your statement about WCs. I try to do 50% a week myself..every tank is different and has different needs. To help the healing of the eye I would recommended probably 25% every 2-3 days.

i recommended the salt to help keep the stress of the oscar down and keep his electrolyes up and i just dont see the need in this case for more then 25% weekly howeve more def wouldnt hurt just thought it to be overkill in this case.

I can assure you i'm not trying to just give you a hard time. aquarium salt and low % water changes are two topics I consider "old school advice" that are often repeated, but mostly invalid.

I never look at high % water changes as overkill. Wild fish environments have near zero ammonia and NO2, NO3. If a fish is sick, I'd be getting as close to that as I reasonably can to help them through the process. Especially when those parameters have a hand in lowering the fish's immune system in the first place.

Salt will help for the stress and also helps aid in the healing process. Almost the same as you would rinse your mouth out with salty water after a mouth surgery. I also agree with your statement about WCs. I try to do 50% a week myself..every tank is different and has different needs. To help the healing of the eye I would recommended probably 25% every 2-3 days.

I think aquarium salt is useful if the tank is not fully-cycled and you want to reduce the nitrite effects on the fish, but the water changes would be a better way to resolve that I'm not sold on the unexplained stress reduction that some people claim salt does with fish.

The epsom salt addition I do think would be very valuable right now.

Mystus leucophasis, AKA the Asian upside catfish, can be quite aggressive. They also get large, 10-12". These cats are highly territorial, and will readily fight over their territory, especially with conspecifics (same species) or slow moving targets, like a young Oscar. That'd be my guess for who did it, not to mention that leucophasis are nocturnal, so you may not see any aggression or anything during the day.

I also noticed on your profile that there is a crayfish, which is easily another option for who could have done this. Cichlids (especially oscars) tend to rest on the bottom when they go to sleep. Crayfish feed at night (the catfish too for that matter). A resting baby Oscar is a nice target for either species.

Mystus leucophasis, AKA the Asian upside catfish, can be quite aggressive. They also get large, 10-12". These cats are highly territorial, and will readily fight over their territory, especially with conspecifics (same species) or slow moving targets, like a young Oscar. That'd be my guess for who did it, not to mention that leucophasis are nocturnal, so you may not see any aggression or anything during the day.

Yup..since your Oscar was sleeping when it probably happened..your catfish might of thought as the eye as a tasty snack. Especially if you haven't seen your convict being aggressive toward it before..then that's who I would suspect also. It could be popeye but pretty much becoming that severe overnight (unless you didn't notice it) would be very rare.

i understand what nitrate levels are in the wild but with only one oscar and if he doesnt feed him while he is healing then there shouldnt be much bio load to drive nitrate levels up and assuming the tank is cycled properly there should not be any amonia present. i only say that 50% wc is overkill in this situation because wc replace minerals and electrolytes in the water column however i dont feel that there would be much taken away in a weeks time to need 50% plus the freshwater salts will also be aiding in replenishment of these minerals and electrolytes. i do agree though if the bio load is large enough you cant go wrong with taking out alot of water i just dont think its absolutley needed in this situation but i could be wrong.

When there are silver dollars, an adult convict, and a 7" catfish in with the Oscar, a large water change would 100% be beneficial. You want to keep all toxin (nh3, no2, no3) levels as minimal as possible.

When there are silver dollars, an adult convict, and a 7" catfish in with the Oscar, a large water change would 100% be beneficial. You want to keep all toxin (nh3, no2, no3) levels as minimal as possible.

Shamelessly showing that Uara in your profile pic. What a Beaut.

i understand what nitrate levels are in the wild but with only one oscar and if he doesnt feed him while he is healing then there shouldnt be much bio load to drive nitrate levels up and assuming the tank is cycled properly there should not be any amonia present. i only say that 50% wc is overkill in this situation because wc replace minerals and electrolytes in the water column however i dont feel that there would be much taken away in a weeks time to need 50% plus the freshwater salts will also be aiding in replenishment of these minerals and electrolytes. i do agree though if the bio load is large enough you cant go wrong with taking out alot of water i just dont think its absolutley needed in this situation but i could be wrong.

You're both correct in both of your statements..now just let it be. These tanks aren't wild environments with tons of gallons to disperse the nitrates, nitrites, etc. Also the fact that there is beneficial things in the water to aid the fish it is sometimes good to let it in there with them for awhile. So you two can just agree to disagree and move on..this is about helping him and his fish not who is right or wrong. :)

oops i was unaware the cat was that big so yeah seeing that correction your right i can agree with you on that my mistake.

You're both correct in both of your statements..now just let it be. These tanks aren't wild environments with tons of gallons to disperse the nitrates, nitrites, etc. Also the fact that there is beneficial things in the water to aid the fish it is sometimes good to let it in there with them for awhile. So you two can just agree to disagree and move on..this is about helping him and his fish not who is right or wrong. :)

oh absolutley i was not trying to argue just more explanation of why i recommended what i did there really is no wrong way to go here weve all recommended very good techniques for helping this poor guy out and combinations can be taken from all of us to help. i sure hope his eye just doesnt get infected unfortunately a very vital area lies behind that eyes ball his central nervous system and last thing you want is an infection getting in there.

Epsom salt has many good applications in the aquarium hobby. Good way to treat swim bladder issues (especially in goldfish) if I remember correctly, as well as being used as a snail dip for plants

Back
Top Bottom