Injured Oscar - help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i will say in my honest experience i do notice a difference in my cichlids with the addition of the salts i dont think its coinsidence. they seem more active and healthier with them added plus im also on town water which is stripped of most of its natural minerals unlike well water. so i add them i figure it cant hurt and only help. i just took in a oscar who was being kept in a ten gallon tank and the guy never did water changes. hes 5" long ! i immediatley dosed him with anti fungal meds and added salts and put him in a 29 gallon sick tank. poor guy isnt looking good i hope he pulls threw. will say that i noticed a immediate difference in gill function and breathing when i added the salts. i have never heard of adding epsom i would thought that be deadly how do you dose it when using it and what ailments is it good for. any info you know about this method would be appreciated ive never hear of it before. i think wed all like to know more about it.

Epsom salt is dosed around 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water. It is generally very safe if dosed properly and can draw fluids from the body and reduce swelling. I've used it to treat Hexamita and Constipation successfully. I've seen references to it online for treating popeye and many of diseases as well.

Let's keep this discussion to the OP's original questions, please. If anyone has questions beyond this topic, please feel free to post a new thread.

Let's keep this discussion to the OP's original questions, please. If anyone has questions beyond this topic, please feel free to post a new thread.

sorry just thought the epsom salt could also benefit the OP with his situation only reason i asked about it in more detail

Thanks for all the advice, I've done a 50% change and will continue to do bigger changes while the Oscar is ill. I've used Melafix Anti Bacterial and will pick up some salt to see if this has a positive effect on them.

The Oscar seems to be doing better now though

Back
Top Bottom