Injured Percula Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I woke this morning to find Nemo looking a little odd. At first glance it just looked like he had sand on the side of his mouth, but upon closer inspection it seems that he may have been in a fight. The left side of his mouth looks like he could have been bitten or something. It's a lttle droopy and he can't open his mouth all the way.

My other tank inhabitants are a Blue Tang (she has been with Nemo since the beginning - about 4 years ago), a Black and Yellow Blenny, Rose BTA, cleaner shrimp, various snails, and hermits. Nemo was looking in great form last night when I fed them. The only thing I can think of is he had a scuffle with the blenny. When I first introduced the blenny, he and Nemo were a little aggressive towards each other (mainly because Blenny was getting too close to Nemo's anemone).

I tried to take a picture of Nemo's mouth, but I couldn't get a good shot. My question is - will his mouth heal on it's own if he is not further harrassed? Will he needs any meds? Any information would be greatly appreciated as this is my first injury like this!

TIA!

Attachments

• img_2830_175.jpg
    img_2830_175.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 33
Injured Percula Clown - split bottom lip -

So I'm now into day 2 of my little Nemo's injury. He seemed very energetic about eating last night (as he ususally does) but wouldn't. He can't quite open his mouth normally, so I think he was a little apprehensive about eating. He is still acting like him self otherwise.

I did notice Blenny sitting back near Nemo and his anemone - and them acting a little aggressive towards each other. So, I'm worried that Blenny won't leave him alone.

Does anyone think that Nemo needs medication?

yes, i do have a QT - i just wasn't sure if this was an injury that would heal quickly or need meds. it's been 3 days since nemo first received his injury, and since that time he has been eating and acting normally. are meds usually used in a situation like this, or no?

Not always, it depends on the severity of the injury. Sometimes time is the best healer. It doesn't look that bad to me from what I can see in the picture. I would just be sure he's in a stress free environment with excellent water quality and give him time to heal. If he's eating and behaving normal, I'd be hopeful he'll recover. If that should change, if the mouth becomes fungused, he's refusing food and becomes less active, then I'd think about moving him to a hospital tank and treating with antibiotics. JMO

thanks for the reply! it actually does look like it has gotten better in just these past couple days. i was worried about the blenny continuing to harrass him, and he was that first day, but i haven't seen any further aggression since. i will definitely keep a close eye on him though. thanks again!

Are you soaking food in anything? If not, I would soak in garlic, Zoe, Selcon, those should also help in the healing and boost Nemo's immune system (garlic).
Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom