Injured spine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HausMaus

Aquarium Advice Regular
So this is the second of my juvenile platys to have this issue in two weeks. After a water change... coincidence?

So last week one spotty fry, well its 2 months old now, was wriggling his front end when swimming. And when he turned his body was not curved but more bent, crooked like. Seemed happy enough but just swimming weird.

So today after another WC, 3 month old 'Pineapple' (cos he/she guards the spongebob pineapple as its own) started swimming from the front, without wiggling its tail. I didn't physically harm it with the syphon or anything, and am always careful to move things (rocks, driftwood etc) slowly, so I didn't notice anyone getting stuck or anything.

Can fish injure themselves this severely out of fright? Like swimming into the side of the tank or anything??

Pineapple is feeding fine, just swimming weird like the other. I can see its spine and it seems fine from what I can assess; there's no obvious break.

A bit bummed about this.

Can't find the correct info but you are describing a symptom of a number of issues.
If your tank is completely cycled then look into 'shimmy' or fish swimming in place.
Could be swim bladder related.

Thanks coralbandit!
I'm treating brush algae and the side effect is low ph, so that makes perfect sense!
Have started to rectify the balance, gradually, so hopefully Pineapple and the freckly one will hopefully improve without anything too permanent as a result.

Back
Top Bottom