Innovative Marine 16 Nuvo (First SW Tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fede-Hanover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

This is my first SW tank (only FW planted tank experience). I chose to go with the IM 16. IMO it's expensive, but easy to use and set up (I have it in my office desk).

This is my current gear and livestock:

1) Innovative Marine 16 Nuvo Black
2) Innovative Marine Protein Skimmer Desktop
3) 18 lbs of "Real Reef" live rock
4) 17 lbs of Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand
5) Two Koralia Nano 425 gph (on timer)
6) Cobalt heater 50W
7) Livestock (for now) 2 True Percula Clowfish, 1 fire shrimp, 2 red leg hermit crabs

Cycling: for cycling I used the live sand, live rock (already cured), and Bio-Spira. The cycling was a little bit odd (given that I used Bio-Spira)... the Nitrites staid high for 2 days, after the ammonia spiked. That same day I add more bacteria from the Bio-Spira bottle, and did a 20% WC after 24hs (4th day). The WC helped reduced the Nitrite and Nitrates. Now it's full cycled.

Live sand: I follow the guide of the books that I read. 1) Fill 1/2 of the tank with water 2) throw the sand.... It was clouded for 24 hs, but it settled fast. I was going to use the cup technique, but I chose to follow the book. I don't really don't know if it makes a difference.

Live Rock: I chose the Real Reef because it's more environmental friendly and the color looks real good. Also, it came cured from my lfs. No hitchhikers at all.

Aquascape: It was not easy. I tried to minimize the amount of rock touching the sand. I have 3 tunnel and 1.5 inches of space between the rock and the glass at the back. Given that the fish tank is very narrow, I'm happy with the result.

Powerheads: I'm still doubting about the position. #1 (during the day) aims to the middle of the front glass from one side. #2 (during the night) aims to the back of the rocks. I guess that after I add soft corals I'll decide if the position is ok.

Skimmer: This was a mistake (for now :)). I didn't know that the skimmers can overflow depending on the water level (I'm afraid of flooding my office). Also, it makes a lot of microbubbles.... I'm still doubting about using it.

After 4 months of reading and researching, I'm extremely happy about the outcome. The learning doesn't end.... Now I need to understand the effects of having a 425 PH aiming to the back of the LR in a 16 gallon tank and decide what to do with the skimmer issue. This is the start.

Here are some pics:

image (3) (640x478).jpg

image (6) (640x478).jpg

image (4) (640x478).jpg

image (5) (640x478).jpg

Hi fede. Looks really good. Like me, I think you did a great job at doing your research before hand. In my opinion the skimmer may be overkill for a 16 gallon. Especially if it just ends up making a mess and making things more complicated. I have a mini refugium in my 12 gallon and feed my fish 2x per week and the coral once per week. Water quality is great for me. I think the trick is making sure your tank cycles well before putting corals and fish into it. Make sure you research which corals are compatible with your lighting and you will be in great shape!
Nice tank!

Thanks Lilyestr.

I agree with all. The skimmer is off for now

This week I have been playing with the PHs. I'm finding a hard time to understand the difference between intermediate flow and high flow. The return nozzles seem very strong, but my clownfishs love the PH when it's on.

Ill be honest and I'm not trying to sound like or anything. Becareful with the hoses that connect to the return nozzles in the overflow. When I had mine, twice, one became dislodged for no apparent reason and I had a flood on my floor. The second thing is, do not waste your time with that skimmer. It's complete trash. I was on the phone with Stephen from IM 3 times a week trying to figure out why it was spewing micro bubbles for 6 weeks. He send me two pumps, new airline tubing, had me clean it out with vinegar, everything. Nothing worked. It also tends to overflow quite often. Just be careful. That being said, I highly recommend a skimmer. Due to all these problems, IM gave me a deal I couldn't pass up on a Nuvo 38 with stand, so I upgraded my 16. Good luck.

Thanks Breakthecycle2. Which skimmer are you using in your IN 16? (if you still have it).

Hello buddys!!

I'm working in my IM 30 gallons and i love it , but i have the same problem with the skimmer lots of bubbles in the tank, since that I started like maybe 4 days ago the bubbles are little less may be is almost breakdown, for my filtration I changed the light sponges that comes
With it and I use the intank media baskets the chamber of the left is going to be use with puri-chem and purigen also with filter pad on the top, the right side i placed the Skimmer and i'll add a refugium with the intank fuge basket that might stop the bubble issue !! I hope so.

Also I have the mini maxi reactor but I don't use it yet, I researching info about it and what would be the best media to use in it.

Is almost two weeks after I started the cycle.

Good luck guys with your tank projects!!

Back
Top Bottom