Innovative Snail Intelligence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought other aquarium lovers would enjoy this sight. I dropped in two algae wafers last night, and all seven of my tank inhabitants like to eat on them. A flame dwarf gourami, three cory cats, a gold inca snail, and two nerite snails, one olive and one tiger. My gourami was on one last night and would bite anyone that came to nibble on his algae wafer. He's not usually aggressive at all, but then again, I had to replace his favorite plant earlier this week, and it was his baby. Well, my inca, named Unsub, wanted his crack-wafer, and did this. I believe this one is HIS algae wafer and HE alone will eat on it while HE is hungry. I got a good laugh and thought I would share it.

Attachments

• DSC01084.jpg
    DSC01084.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 109
That's great! I love snail's they can be really comical. Yours is funny, I definitely think he doesn't like to share lol I have to show you how mine sleep couldn't resist!

ForumRunner_20121130_172647.jpg

Very funny.

You know, I have never owned a snail before. Everyone always told me to stay away from them, as if you ever wanted to, you could never get rid of them.

I kinda feel like maybe I want to try them out. :)

Never try a snail? Who on earth did you talk to? Everyone told me to get one. They're really fun to watch, especially mine when I put in algae wafers. The gold inca, the first time he got to one, literally fell over eating on it. I got a couple good pictures of my snails and fish being goofy. I'll go on my laptop and post them. They aren't on my phone.

Snails are fun to have. I,ve got my apples, tylos,nerites & a Colombian love keeping them :)

Here is Energizer, the original snail, my olive nerite, for the first time riding along with Unsub. I had heard that snails did this, but never saw mine until I believe it was last night. They went like that all around the tank.

There is Unsub somehow on top of my curly bamboo. I have no idea how he got there or how he got down, but he did. He's weird.

There is a picture of me trying to get a better shot of Unsub and Energizer continuing their trek around the tank, since my family back at home likes to see pictures of them on Facebook, and Torch, the dwarf gourami, deciding to jump in and get his picture taken too.

And, finally, there is Energizer on the banana plant, proving that it was a great idea to get the weirdest looking plant in the store. She somehow rolled it all the way across the tank as she did whatever she was doing. I have an interesting tank to say the least. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• DSC01083.jpg
    DSC01083.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC01085.jpg
    DSC01085.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01082.jpg
    DSC01082.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01079.jpg
    DSC01079.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 64
You guys opened up my world. I feel like I NEED a snail or two now! :)

Ok, so what snails are good options? I do not currently have live plants (i know, i know, i should, but I don't) but do plan to.

What is an attractive snail that will not get out of control, wont devour live plants (I will have them at some point), and are easy to keep. What are my options? Keep in mind that I literally know nothing about snails other than that pond snails are a nightmare.

Ok, so what snails are good options? I do not currently have live plants (i know, i know, i should, but I don't) but do plan to.

What is an attractive snail that will not get out of control, wont devour live plants (I will have them at some point), and are easy to keep. What are my options? Keep in mind that I literally know nothing about snails other than that pond snails are a nightmare.

I have nerites and an inca. Nerites lay white eggs everywhere but if it's freshwater they won't hatch. I have a tiger nerite that's really pretty. There's also zebra nerites. Snails do poop a lot but they like to in the same spot, I've read, like a cat and a litter box. Now, all of my fish and snails have their litter box that they move every time I do a water change. As I showed, my tank is full of weird friends.

Apple snails or mystery,s won't eat live plants only decaying leaves. You get them in all different colors I have a pink/purple stripe, an ivory & a blue. They need fed algae wafers, blanched vegi,s. They are male or female so you need two too breed. Nerites are a good option too great algae eaters I have tigers & also need fed. They can't reproduce in freshwater :)

I have "hitch hikers" snails (black plant snails) and i use them to feed the puffer in another tank. What snail could I add to my tank that won't explode in plague proportions like "hitch hikers"? I really don't want a tank full of obnoxious snails. I have a 40g all live plants, Pleco, guppies and 10 Cory's. oh and ghost shrimp

I have "hitch hikers" snails (black plant snails) and i use them to feed the puffer in another tank. What snail could I add to my tank that won't explode in plague proportions like "hitch hikers"? I really don't want a tank full of obnoxious snails. I have a 40g all live plants, Pleco, guppies and 10 Cory's. oh and ghost shrimp

Nerites won't produce in freshwater, or a single apple/mystery snail, they need two to breed I have both of these in my tank including amanos with no problem,s.

If it's a freshwater tank, nerites won't explode. They need brackish water to reproduce, so you might have little white eggs scattered about, but no baby snails. Mysteries I have no clue.

What if you mix them? Will they cross breed?

As far as my knowledge goes, they will not crossbreed, but don't quote me on that. Someone else with better knowledge may know positively yes or know. As far as I know you mix them with just about anything that doesn't eat snails. So not puffers. I got mine with a gourami and Cory cats.

Back
Top Bottom