Insanely high nitrates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bfred13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Back story- this tank has been up and running for 2 years with the same fish. Water changes 1-2 times a month as needed (have not tested water in about a year due to necessity, everything was fine- not broke don’t fix it right?) Wrong. I added 2 new fish both dead in days. $80 down the drain, because my nitrates are greater than 160ppm!!! What the heck?! How are my current cichlids (4) and 2 plecos thriving and growing with no problems?! I’m at a loss, how does one fix this issue? Nitrites are 0- my pH is low however up one checking it last night, light yellow on the color chart for API test kit. Help!

Your PH should be checked as well. I suggest not buying anymore fish until you get the Nitrate level down to around the 20 ppm range. This should be done gradually with weekly water changes. Most hobbyist do 50% or more each week. Did your lfs test your Nitrate? Also shake the heck out of the Nitrate test bottles also check expiration date.

Fish will get used to bad water conditions. So your established fish can tolerate the high nitrate, newer fish wont be able to.

If you were to suddenly do a big water change to get them down, you risk your established fish not being able to tolerate the sudden change. So you get your nitrates down slowly. I would suggest small (say 10%) daily water changes until your nitrate is at an acceptable level (10 to 20ppm). Then you need to do weekly water changes, up to 50%. If weekly 50% water changes doesn't keep your nitrate levels in the 10 to 20ppm range you are overstocked.

Your PH should be checked as well. I suggest not buying anymore fish until you get the Nitrate level down to around the 20 ppm range. This should be done gradually with weekly water changes. Most hobbyist do 50% or more each week. Did your lfs test your Nitrate? Also shake the heck out of the Nitrate test bottles also check expiration date.

My pH is low, I did check that. And yes, they checked it as well as I. I’m not planning on adding any, I feel horrible that these 2 had to suffer [emoji20] but I never had and reason to think there was a problem.

Fish will get used to bad water conditions. So your established fish can tolerate the high nitrate, newer fish wont be able to.

If you were to suddenly do a big water change to get them down, you risk your established fish not being able to tolerate the sudden change. So you get your nitrates down slowly. I would suggest small (say 10%) daily water changes until your nitrate is at an acceptable level (10 to 20ppm). Then you need to do weekly water changes, up to 50%. If weekly 50% water changes doesn't keep your nitrate levels in the 10 to 20ppm range you are overstocked.

I will work on that, thank you! Any tips to get my pH up? I’ve added crushed coral in the past- but it’s low again. I know I’m not overstocked.

What is your tapwater pH?

Low pH is a symptom of old tank syndrome, which you have in abundance. Plenty of water changes should start to resolve these issues.

What is your tapwater pH?

Low pH is a symptom of old tank syndrome, which you have in abundance. Plenty of water changes should start to resolve these issues.

I will check my tap water, I have not checked it from the tap. Thank you for your help!

Or over feeding.

Don't mess with your tap ph it will only make things worse down the road. "Once or twice a month water changes" is not going to be enough at less it is a heavily planted tank. You need to slowly get your nitrate down by doing small water changes to not shock the fish every other day till you get it down to where it needs to be. You'll need to start doing water changes atleast 30% every week.

i had the same problem which was easily fixed by adding a nice spread of aquatic plants which brought down my nitrate and ammonia levels.

Back
Top Bottom