inside of tank scratched

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just noticed after using my may float I have scratched my tank in the bottom corners and up the left hand side. They look like hairs on the inside. I can feel the with my nail. My questions is. Is my tank in danger. What can I do. Is it a big deal. Can anyone calm my mind. Thanks

Unless you cut the silicone and the glass isn't chipping around the scratch I would say your safe. I saw somewhere a tank scratch removal kit, its a resin you can put in scratches to strengthen them and makes them look less obvious, you can also get some that you can apply underwater without harming your fish...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Some parts of the scratches look wider than others. I don't know if they are chipping or if it is algae or not. Any ideas what would chipping look like

If you just scratched it with a mag float, don't worry. Seriously, I have done this more times that I want to admit. It's unsightly when algae grows in it, but it's defnitely nothing to worry about. It happens. It teaches you to be super careful with a mag float and to clean it every now and then.

Thanks. Do your scratches look as I described. Sorry to be a wimp but I don't want a disaster lol

Yeah. I tried taking a picture, but it just looked like dirty glass haha. If it were to chip, it would look like a circle most likley, but unless you have a megasuperelectrowonder magnet inside your mag float, there's no way it had enough pressure to scratch deep enough to cause issues.

Thankyou. I no longer use my magazine float. Just a lot of Otto's and a scraper. Ha ha.

Don't use a mag float if you have a sand substrate. Eventually, sand will get between the glass and the pad and scratch the glass.

Back
Top Bottom