Instant Aquarium Sand Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

So I picked up some Instant Aquarium sand yesterday as I'm going to begin cycling my 5.5 gallon. I have never used sand before, and only bought this brand because it was on sale for 7.99 for a 20lb bag at the Fosters and Smith retail outlet.

Well, I got it home and rinsed it, then added it to the aquarium. Used a saucer and filled the tank. It looked like total mud. I let it int a few hours, then turned on the filter.

When I checked on it this morning, it was still so muddy looking you couldn't see even see through the water. So I did a 75% water change and it seemed to help a bit. Checked this afternoon--still obscure! So I did yet another water change. It looks clearer now but is still cloudy from the sand.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this how it's supposed to e with sand? Did I not rinse it well enough? Should I break it down and re-rinse? I'm in no hurry to get this tank cycled--mainly wanted to use it as an experiment with using sand and live plants eventually.

Thanks!

Take whatever u have in your filter out and pack it full of filter floss. Or synthetic stuffing like in pillows. Will clear it up

Not sure what that is. Just run the filter with floss for a day or so. It will clear right up

I placed a bunch of the synthetic fiber that is used for pillows in the filter on Saturday. As of this morning, the tank is still quite cloudy:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394458492.984267.jpg

Admittedly, I am running one of my cheaper back up filters---an aqua tech. It is rated for up to 15 gallons and seems to filter well though. I have the synthetic fibers, a bag of purigen, and a biological filter pad in there from my established 10 gallon.

From what I have read, this should be cleared up by now? Should I break it down and rinse the sand again? I really love the look of sand but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom