Integration of Sailfin Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I currently have the following and wish to introduce a sailfin tang:

• Coral beauty
    Orange tail damsel
    Pair of perc clowns
    Red blenny
    Hermit crab

I am concerned about agression from the angel and the damsel. Your thoughts?

What size tank?? I would not put a sailfin in anything smaller then a 125 and I would not worry about the other fish.

What would you recommend as a new addition to my tank given the above inhabitents already? I really would like an algae eater if possible.

You could do a yellow tang in a 55. Someone else would be better to comment on the bio-load it would produce with the current fish you have.

I would actually prefer a yellow tang, but getting them at my LFS is hard.. they get them like every 6 months, but in lots of like 150 so i just have to wait.

Would a yellow tang require less space than a sailfin? I chose a sailfin over a yellow for the above reason, but also as I thought they'd have comparable needs.

A yellow tang will only get half the size of a sailfin. They both have the same feeding requirements. (love algae) Have you tried online? I just saw them on sale for $14.99

I'm in AU... we pay $100 minimum here... I found another store but they want $180 can you believe?

What if I got a smaller sailfin and then just replace it when it gets bigger?

Sorry I did not pay attention to your location. Not a good idea to buy a fish based on future plans. Some requirement are based on size and some on the actual fish. I would say avoid the sailfin.
I can give you the sale link :)

If it allows a local purchase in AU, then go for it. ;p

Got this off there site:
International orders will incur actual freight cost. The USPS Express shipping will be utilized for international orders; cost will vary.
Ordering just one fish would probably not be worth it. If you wanted corals or multiple fish I would look into it.

It's not worth it. AU has very strict quarantine laws and it's expensive. Ah well, guess I will have to find another fish.. what about purple tangs? I wanted a colour other than purple as my angel is mostly purple.

no tang, except POSSIBLY the yellow and the kole, would be suitable for your tank. Even small ones need room to swim.

So what would you recommend I could add to my tank?

aren't chromis a member of the damsel family, and as such might fight with my yellow tail damsel?

Chromis are not aggressive. Like Hara said check out liveaquaria.com. It will give you info on the fish temperament, special requirements, etc. with nice pictures.

Correct Chromis are a member of the damsel family, but unlike other damsels are relatively peaceful. I have a school of 5, but with your current load I would not get more than 3. Is getting rid of the yellow tail an option? It may be aggressive toward chromis or other smaller fish.

Otherwise I think the damsel might be a problem for anything other than a yellow tang anf I would wait on a yelow tang if that is what you want.

Back
Top Bottom