Interesting results and need opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spangler2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Took a water sample from my 55g tank that is a little cloudy to my LFS, as well at water straight out of my tap.

I have well water with some sulphur, so it runs through a chlorine injected system taking out the rotton egg smell (thats generally the easiest way to explain :) )

They tested the tank water
7.0 PH
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 nitrate

and the tap water
7.2 PH
0ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

but they didnt test for metals and or chlorine.. my question is when i do a water change, is it best when filling directly from my tap to use a product like API tap water conditioner?

since the PH of the water is very close, and i can get the temp at 79 degrees with a thermometer out of my faucet is there a certain process you particularly follow?

i have a python so its much easier to do all 3 tanks quickly

Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
I always use a conditioner for the metals. No matter if I am using softened or hard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the quick reply.. i apologize i didnt explain that correctly..

when using the tap conditioner do you put a little bit in as your tank is filling? how quickly do i need to treat the metals/chlorine coming from the tap?

Thats basically what im looking for :)

Thanks again

I only have a 20, so I do my 50 then right away put my conditioner in. I would, if you're doing a lot of water. Do 25-50% of your filling and put your conditioner in for the whole tank. Let it sit for a moment filtering, then do the rest.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know of a couple breeders who actually wait 5-10 minutes after adding the Untreated water to add their conditioner!
They call it a 5 minute 'tune up'!
In their,and my opinion the short exposure performed by a responsible keeper is beneficial in control of bacteria,parasites and such in tanks.
On the heavy metals make sure you conditioner deals with them .Not all do!
Seachem PRIME is the choice few ever look back from.
It works basically INSTANTLY for chlorine ,I can not say for metals do to testing difficulties!
I own a chlorine test kit and prep water in 32g brute containers(for YEARS now).
I fill 32 g, test ,turns yellow.
I turn on powerhead,add my mix of SAFE(seachems dry version of PRIME) and I test within 30seconds.
Clear, gone .....
Add it before ,during or after I don't think it much matters.
What does matter is to add for FULL volume of TANK not wc if using python type changer.
Good luck, enjoy,and keep changing water!
All successful keepers do !

What does matter is to add for FULL volume of TANK not wc if using python type changer.
Good luck, enjoy,and keep changing water!
All successful keepers do !

This is important if going directly from the tap to tank.
So when doing a change you need to add enough Prime or other conditioner to treat 55 gallons, not just the 10-20 you are changing.

I also agree that Prime probably the best available.

i will get some prime. ive been using API tap water conditioner and its been working, but ive heard lots of good things on prime so off to amazon i go shopping :)

I use prime 2.5 gal water change =1.5 ml prime I put mine in the bucket as I'm filling it and its dechlorinated by the time it enters the tank.

Back
Top Bottom