Interesting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I just got a nitrate test kit today and tested my 10g's water. The results I got were extremely surprising.

The tank is stocked with 9 Glowlight Tetras, 1 Dwarf Flame Gourami, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, and about 8 Ghost Shrimp. Yes, I know it is "overstocked". The tank is planted with about 2 dozen Anacharis stems, 1 Amazon Sword, 2 Wisteria, 1 Banana plant, and 1 Marimo Ball.

I figured my nitrates would be somewhere around 20-40 ppm since I hadn't done a PWC (25%) in 8 days. When I finished letting it develop, I second guessed the results.

7 ppm of nitrate?!?

How is this possible? Since they are so low is there anything else that can go in the tank?

anacharis is a nitrate sponge. that's why. Technically, you probably could, but I wouldn't. You're relying on the anacharis to keep your nitrates low if you add any more.

Okay, my Dad keeps saying "Your tank looks like it could use more fish!". I keep telling him it is technically overstocked. What could theoretically fit in there just out of curiosity?

What do you mean? If you take all the stock in the aquarium out, or if you keep the stock, and what else could go in there?

Back
Top Bottom