internal parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnbrunner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our paraiba angel has had this problem for quite some time now. At first he seemed ok, for the first few weeks we had him, and then when we noticed the white stringy poop, not just him, but some of our other fish as well, we used kanaplex, as suggested by Big Al's. It seemed to work for all the other fish, but now it has been about a month since the paraiba has eaten. After the kanaplex treatment, like I said everyone else in the tank was ok, except paraiba, so we moved him to our 10 gallon hospital. He is by himself in there. We tried a second time with kanaplex with no success, and then it was recommended by a different aquarium store that we try cupramine. We started the cupramine treatment, and he got worse (didnt realize you're not supposed to use the tapwater conditioner with the cupramine). So we put the charcoal filter back in for about 24hrs, and then did 2 50% water changes the following day...one early in the morning and then one more later that night. He started looking a bit better. After we were sure the copper was out we started using prazipro (hoping it is a safer and more effective treatment, and unsure why that wasn't recommended in the first place). He had some ich on his fins, but after first dose of prazipro it went away, but he still has the clear stringy poop and is not eating. He is swimming fine, but just really skinny and not nearly as colourful as he used to be. We will be doing the second dose of prazi pro tonight. If this doesnt work, what else can we do, and when is it time to give up if it doesnt?

The problem with parasite treatments is that they often aren't effective because they aren't being delivered to the problem source, namely the fish's intestines. If prazipro doesn't work, I would step it up and get some anti-parasite and anti-protozoa medicated food. I get mine from Angels Plus.

The problem with parasite treatments is that they often aren't effective because they aren't being delivered to the problem source, namely the fish's intestines. If prazipro doesn't work, I would step it up and get some anti-parasite and anti-protozoa medicated food. I get mine from Angels Plus.

Like i said he completely refuses to eat, and hasnt for about a month.

How much are you dosing? What kind of dosing schedule are you following? Prazi has a very limited spectrum of bugs it can address so additional measures may be needed.

We were following the directions on the bottle but today we also started some metro. The guy at the LFS that we usually trust was in today so he also told us to use the metro and then force feed.

Back
Top Bottom