Internal parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stale Cupcakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been having a problem with my comet goldfish. He has been excreting very odd stool. It's pretty much different every time. Sometimes it's pretty normal, other times it's white and stringy, sometimes it's a mix of both. But there has been one thing in common in all the stools, there is always tiny, tiny bits of gravel in the stool. I have of course not ruled out internal parasites, but a part of me thinks the gravel is the issue. My plan for now is to remove the gravel, fast him, and feed him peas to hopefully get the gravel out. He is not at all skinny and has a glorious appetite. The attached picture are the bits I find in the stool. This has also been happening for almost as long as I have had him (little more than a year)

As long as your GF is still eating and not wasting away, probably not suffering any type of internal infestation or infection. I've got a couple of CA Cichlids that sift through gravel for food. Needless to say what occasionally comes out the other end. Lol.
I believe BBradbury keeps Comets. Maybe he will chime in with addition info.

Thank you for the reply. Do you believe the gravel is the cause behind the white stool? I am just hesitant to conclude it's parasites because I don't want to falsely medicate. I personally don't think it is, but a majority of people I have talked to think so. But none of them actually thought he was eating the gravel and none seem to keep goldies. But I am still cautious.

I agree, only medicate as a last resort. Your Goldie is eating, swimming normally and is not wasting away. Until any of those three points change, likely nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom