Introducing a new blood parrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prosser1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive had a blood parrot for a few years now he became agressive and ate all of his tank mates including a 6 inch pleco. After a couple of years of living alone today my husband comes home with a new blood parrot. A little bigger than the one we have. Our original appears to be attacking the new. But then the fighting stops for a while then happens again. Is this normal?

Red parrots mouths are shaped in such a manner that the weaker parrot won't suffer much damage when attacked. Once the larger parrot gets settled he might turn the tables on the original. Two like cichlids together equals constant bickering. An addition of a third parrot might ease things up. I've never kept parrots either but no reason to believe their behavior would differ much from other semi aggressive S.A. cichlids. Recently saw a group of seven or eight parrots in a display tank at my local wal-mart. Not much aggression or damage noticed.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom