Introducing a Swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmckinniss

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added a new female swordtail and a new female platy to my 55gal tank. Already there were 1M & 1F swordtails and 1M & 1F platies. Almost immediately, my male swordtail began pecking at the sides of the new female swordtail, which he had never done to the original female. I understand swordtails can be moderately aggressive toward one another, but I didn't expect between sexes. Will this behavior continue? Will my new female be accepted?

It may or may not continue, but I suggest if it does to take the male out, re-arrange the tank to make it look alot different and then re-add the male. This is often enough to make the offending fish think it is in a new tank and not "its" tank and aggression usually stops.

I had this exact think happen. And I did exactly what Rivercats suggested and it worked perfectly. He eventually split his time chasing both females but not with nipping. Just the normal chase the males like to do. Funny thing is when the females get tired of him they gang up and chase him off LOL! They're so funny :lol:

Would this "new tank" technique work: I have a tank with 7 female (I hope) Platys, 2 male dwarf gouramis and assorted shrimp. They were all cohabiting wonderfully for weeks and then all of the sudden, with no changes beside normal water changes, one of my gouramis started chasing my Platys and bullying the other gourami. Any ideas?

Yes that is what you need to try first but I have to tell you this can be quite common with gourami's and if this doesn't work you may have to rehome/sell/move the aggressive gourami. What type gourami is it?

The aggressive one is a neon blue dwarf gourami. The other is a powder blue dwarf gourami. Sometimes I think the neon is going to have to go, but sometimes he is just as peaceful as everyone else. None of my fish have any damage, he just harasses them. I think I'll try the "new tank" if it gets worse... Hopefully I don't have to get rid of him. He's just so pretty and fun to watch. :(

Attachments

• image-825412874.jpg
    image-825412874.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 49
Rivercats said:
It may or may not continue, but I suggest if it does to take the male out, re-arrange the tank to make it look alot different and then re-add the male. This is often enough to make the offending fish think it is in a new tank and not "its" tank and aggression usually stops.

Thanks for the advice. I did not do anything to see if the behavior would continue. Within a few hours, everyone was pretty happy. Didn't even have to try the "new tank" technique. Plus, the new additions have made all fish more active.

Back
Top Bottom