introducing betas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattAquaBio

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a community tank with several different schools of fish. My friend has two betas and wants to get rid of one of them. So he asked if i'd take it. But i just want to know how betas act in an aquarium with other fish. I've never had a beta and dont know much about them except that they will pretty much kill other male betas. But i've seen them in the tanks with other community fish at the lfs.
So basically, good idea, or bad?

Just make sure they don't go with any livebearers, angels, barbs, black widows or anythig else nippy. Fighters for the tough name really are pussies. Fighter vs. Mollie? I've got my money on the mollie!

lol, i've heard that they can fight betas but are really not good agaisnt other fish because they have such long fins they can get nipped easily, i just wasnt sure if they were going to be a bully or not.
Well i've got some neon tetras, sunburst platies, plecos, and zebra danios so i think i'll be okay putting him in there.

you could add it, just remember, bettas don't like alot current, very tall tanks, so they will prolly stay near the surface, and they are huge fans of their owners, they will stare at you as long as your in the room, and they will follow your finger all over the glass lol they are really easy to care for, I had mine with tiger barbs for over a year with no nipping, it just depends on the enviorment, tank size, places fo all the fish to call there own and water qualtiy

my tank is really tall with almost no current. I changed from an undergravel filter with powerhead to a hob filter just to decrease the current. My fish are much happier. Thanks for the help guys ^^.

WillMurf said:
Just make sure they don't go with any livebearers, angels, barbs, black widows or anythig else nippy. Fighters for the tough name really are pussies. Fighter vs. Mollie? I've got my money on the mollie!

o_O my mollies and bettas NEVER squabble .__. lol

I've only ever had/seen problems with bettas with male guppies or other bettas (which is obvious but some actually DON'T attack one another if you have enough space >.<)

Basically nothing with flowy fins or anything that wound nip at theirs

I have a betta in with Zebra danios and they play sometimes, and I introduced the Betta after the danios, (would have done it differently if I could do it again) and it took a couple days, but they all started to not mind each other..

I put the beta in today, my girlfriend dubbed him "yoshi" after the mario dinosaur thing. Anyway, the beta is basically ignoring the other fish and they are returning the favor. So alls well so far ^^.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom