Introducing Discus in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
How fast, how many at a time should I introduce them in my tank?(after it cycles) I read that I should have at least 7. Is that true and that if it's lesser than 7 that some will die from bullying from other discus? Thanks.

I added all 8 of mine at the same time. They do prefer to be in larger groups, and bullying can be a problem in smaller groups. What size is the tank?

herp_mommy said:
I added all 8 of mine at the same time. They do prefer to be in larger groups, and bullying can be a problem in smaller groups. What size is the tank?

I have a 125g. Is it going to be hard for the filter, beneficial bacteria to cope up if you add that much load at the same time?

You should already have your tank cycled before you add the fish. Cycling is what builds up the bacteria.

herp_mommy said:
You should already have your tank cycled before you add the fish. Cycling is what builds up the bacteria.

I am waiting for my tank to cycle.But isn't it that the amount of bacteria that you have in you tank depends on the amount of waste during cycling?( im doing fish-in cycling. I wasn't informed if the fishless...). The amount bacteria produced during cycling can only handle a certain amount of waste. That's why you only introduce a few fishes at a time for the good bacteria to catch up with the amount of waste being produced by the added fish. Am I right?

as you said, adding too many fish at once will put your tank into a mini cycle to increase the bacteria.

it also depends on the size of the discus you are getting. 8 juvi in a 125g would probably be fine 8 full grown adults is alot of bio load to add at once.

agrainger said:
as you said, adding too many fish at once will put your tank into a mini cycle to increase the bacteria.

it also depends on the size of the discus you are getting. 8 juvi in a 125g would probably be fine 8 full grown adults is alot of bio load to add at once.

That's good to know. I am planning on getting 7 juvi. I'll get them all at the same time :) thanks!

Do you guys know the minimum number of discus in a tank?

Do you guys know the minimum number of discus in a tank?

I wouldn't do less than 6. Also, you are correct about the bio load and the filter. I assumed you would be adding young discus, instead of full-grown discus. I seeded my filter from my 55gal and the bacteria is enough to handle the bio-load of 8 3" discus, 4 cories, and 20 tetras.

herp_mommy said:
I wouldn't do less than 6. Also, you are correct about the bio load and the filter. I assumed you would be adding young discus, instead of full-grown discus. I seeded my filter from my 55gal and the bacteria is enough to handle the bio-load of 8 3" discus, 4 cories, and 20 tetras.

Are you going to need a bigger tank once they get bigger? How big is your tank?

the bigger the group the better. a 125 is a great size tank for discus. i would stock the other fish 1st then add the discus. this was its a more established tank. you just need to keep a eye on the levels for a few days make sure you dont get any spikes.

mgamer20o0 said:
the bigger the group the better. a 125 is a great size tank for discus. i would stock the other fish 1st then add the discus. this was its a more established tank. you just need to keep a eye on the levels for a few days make sure you dont get any spikes.

For example, I'm going to get 6 discus. How many black skirt and cardinal tetras can I get? I want to have 7 black skirts. So how many cardinal tetras can I get? Thanks.

For example, I'm going to get 6 discus. How many black skirt and cardinal tetras can I get? I want to have 7 black skirts. So how many cardinal tetras can I get? Thanks.

I wouldn't get the black skirts, they're too rambunctious to be with discus IMO. I'd go with a school of 20-30 cardinals. They look fantastic in higher numbers.

herp_mommy said:
I wouldn't get the black skirts, they're too rambunctious to be with discus IMO. I'd go with a school of 20-30 cardinals. They look fantastic in higher numbers.

Oh, are they? Anyway, are there other good tank mates for discus?

Oh, are they? Anyway, are there other good tank mates for discus?

German Blue Rams, Cory Cats, some people keep smaller plecos, lamp eye tetras. In any discus tank, I think the discus should be the main attraction.

Back
Top Bottom