Introducing new cichlids into a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Rancid.dog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know the Latin word for the fish the guy I got them from said two are dragons blood, two blue ones with black stripes on them, two Melanochromis auratus. And a albino one that's real mean. There all African cichlids. I have sand stone kinda stacked up two fake plants a little stone house off to the side (I have pics on my profile). I just lost a nice fish last night cause one of my little ones beat it up. I've heard rearrange the tank often anything else ?

1Rancid.dog said:
I don't know the Latin word for the fish the guy I got them from said two are dragons blood, two blue ones with black stripes on them, two Melanochromis auratus. And a albino one that's real mean. There all African cichlids. I have sand stone kinda stacked up two fake plants a little stone house off to the side (I have pics on my profile). I just lost a nice fish last night cause one of my little ones beat it up. I've heard rearrange the tank often anything else ?

Rearranging the tank adding new and more rock work may help. Stocking the tank more to spread the aggression out by adding only aggressive - highly aggressive mbuna. Getting a bigger tank, what size is yours? And/or rehoming the one that's killing the others.

It's SO much easier to put cichlids in all at the same time! It's been hit or miss for me. I've added some unsuccessfully and sometimes adding new fish has been smooth. It's just a crapshoot how they're going to react. Having said that, Andrew is exactly right about rearranging the decor when adding new cichlids. It helps tremendously! If you're adding new fish to an established tank it's helpful to add a minimum of 2. Putting a single fish in the tank is a safe guarantee the little guy's going to be bullied.

Keep the lights off for a day or two after adding the new fish. It seems to help them get used to the surroundings.

Thanks everyone I've noticed the lights being off helps. I've separated the most dominant fish and the others are doing alright but I put a new one in with him (the two in one tank) and they don't fight but the new ones not eating. Might not of been the best idea I know. Trying to let the big tank balance out the pecking order then maybe add the new one i have in the tank with my dominate one. My big tank is 50g. The dominate one is albino and looks cool in a l.e.d tank with neon colored plants.

Rearrange the decor, keep the lights off and put the new guy in the main tank. IMO he'll be fine. After he is comfortable you can add the aggressor back. The " time out" might have calmed him down.

Back
Top Bottom