Introduction and stocking question :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJLockley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I'm new to the thread but I've been around freshwater tanks my whole life. However, my experience level is still pretty low. Typically while growing up my sister took care of the tank but there was little to no siphoning, and absolutely no water testing. I've had a 50g long tank for a few years now but it was gifted to me from a friend who had just grown tired of upkeep, so it was pretty well established. Usually when I would start a new tank, I would buy a kit from petco, hose everything off, throw some bright rocks in it, throw in some annoyingly fake coral, and immediately (same day) toss in some neon tetras, maybe some guppies, and a few black skirt tetras. I'd do 50% water changes the first week of the month and a 75% change with a thorough scrub down of the rocks and decorations on the third week. (I know, I know,). But hey, I would add some water conditioner and throw in a few pieces of salt and call it a tank! I started to do my research about 3 years ago And I'm proud to say I have learned so much more!! I'm still trying to understand water testing.

CURRENT TANK HISTORY: The friend who gave me the tank years ago seemed to know more than I do regarding aquariums but as I have been very very slowly researching PROPER tank care, I don't really think he knew what he was doing haha. When he gave us the tank he had stocked it with about 4 swordtails, 3 pencil tetras?, 6 teeny tiny tinfoil barbs, 3 tiger barbs and some other tetras that I wasn't too familiar with. He had NO idea what half of the fish were and we didn't learn about the tinfoil barbs until it was too late. Did you know that the average tinfoil, if given the proper space, can grow to be about 14 inches?!? As each tank mate died, the tinfoils grew. I eventually didn't want to restock the tank with anything because most fish found at a LFS are too small for these big guys and would just become bait! Yesterday we found a home for the 3 remaining barbs and our tank is empty! We're ready to put in some fish that my husband and I think our kids will enjoy.

FUTURE PLANS: my Husband has never had a tank except for the one stated from my history. He's never had to decide what kind of fish we would enjoy or anything. He's pretty excited about running a freshwater from the beginning! We plan to eventually feel confident enough to try our hands at saltwater. I'm too intimidated to attempt one now because of the cost of the beautiful fish. Also, I would want a few pieces of real coral and again, it's a concept that scares me a little. We think after we play with this freshwater tank a few years we will start preparing a saltwater tank :)

STOCKING: here's the part we need help with:. We are in the early stages of cycling the tank to prepare it for the new arrivals. However after reading some of the articles on this site, since the gravel and filter media have already been exposed to quite a few FW fish, it may not take as long as I originally thought. I would like a new air pump/bubble tubes and we're discussing the need for a more current python or other siphoning tool. The one that came with the tank is probably 20+ years old and is starting to deteriorate. Now, which fish.. I really want FW Angels but here's what I was thinking and I really need anyone to tell me if these fish aren't compatible or if I'm about to overstock myself once the tank is ready.

2 Angels,
1 dwarf gourami
5-7 Neon or Cardinal Tetras
1 male beta (I've had a beta in a 10g community tank before with tetras and guppies and he did well.. Not sure about tanking with an angel though)
We're also tossing around the idea of a few algae eaters of some kind but I just don't know if it will be necessary.

Everything i have read has given me the impression that this selection wont be an issue.. but i may have overlooked something. I'm pretty sure the tank is a 50g, not a 55.

We will probably stock with silk and plastic plants, and plenty of hollow rocks. My husband wants to put a large decorative shipwreck, I just don't want to have to clean around it...

that may be a bit much for a 50 gallon. Remember the Angels will eventually get pretty big and can sometimes bully (the gourami or beta may take the brunt of that) especially if they start to breed. If you want angels (which I love and have had in the past) you might either not get a gourami/beta or just watch them very carefully for bullying/fin nipping. I've never had a problem with them and schooling fish though. I did however lose a large marbled male who wedged himself between a rock and the glass during the night and died. *sigh* :( So you might be careful where you place the rocks. Also I know they're super generic but goldfish are often a huge hit with kids, are peaceful and look great with neons ;)

If this is a 50 gallon then it will be 3 feet long. The 55g is 4 feet long.

I agree about skipping on the betta. The gourami would probably work though as they are fairly sturdy fish.

There is still a bit of room for more stock in this setup. Have you thought about an extra school of fish? Either that or increasing the number of tetras would be a good idea. I would also absolutely get cardinals over neons. The cardinals are a bit larger and wont get eaten by adult angels.

Wow, I'm astonished that this got swept under the rug for over a month!

So anyway, you still have lots of room. I also think a betta may not be a good idea.

A good idea might be to add another school of fish, say a school of 6 lemon tetras. They are hardy, peaceful, and will not get eaten. You could probably also add another school afterwards if you wanted, or up both schools to 10. You are really only a bit over halfway stocked right now, without the betta.

Back
Top Bottom