Invert suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
What, if any invertebrates could I put in my tank and not get slaughtered?

I'd like shrimp as a clean up crew for extra food, but I get the feeling they'll end up being lunch for someone. Or a crayfish, I like crayfish.

It is a 55 gallon with:

Kissing gourami
Rainbow shark
Bn pleco
14 tiger barbs

I know I'll have to add more cover for them, but here is a picture for scrutiny.

img_2896934_0_b311321b1894a6d5a64cef0b3d3c62f6.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would go with a crayfish, they can be really good. The biggest thing is making sure he has a dark cave/hiding spot to claim for himself. I've had a couple and haven't had an issue. Can also loom into dwarf crayfish, they tend to be less aggressive.

I guess the question is will a crayfish bother my bottom dwellers, or will my bottom dwellers bother a crayfish?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For yours, I don't know. I had golden algae eater and had no issues. Crayfish tend to be somewhat aggressive when others are near, but it varies. Could get one that just doesn't care. Dwarf crayfish tend to not be aggressive at all though.

I plugged it into aqadvisor and it suggested the crayfish was too aggressive to exist with any of my fish.

Then again, it also said that the tiger barbs may become food for the kissing gourami....so I take personal experience over the machine.

I know the gourami sleeps on the bottom, or on top of the driftwood. the barbs usually sleep in the plants and the rainbow/pleco are active at night. My gourami would be my main concern. I'm considering getting a third tank and making it a species tank for the tiger barbs, leaving the gourami, pleco and rainbow alone in the 55.

Any suggestions on snail options? I know nerites and of course the demon multiplying pond sails.

I don't have a good crop of algae because of my low light.

Rabbit Snails. Apple snail. It's good you don't have much Algae. You can offer snail a piece of blanched zucchini or Spinach. Your Kisser might like it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom