Iodine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Xenia in my tank and it looks like it's on the decline. It looks like its shrinking and the arms do not extend out; they look shriveled. My other corals: bubble, zoos, frogspawn, torch, candy cane, and various mushrooms are doing well. I told this to a dude at a lfs and he recommended I try adding iodine. I told him that I do weekly 5 gallon Pwc to my 16 gallon, and that ive always thought I didn't have to add any chems if I did this.
1. What do you think about the comment about adding iodine?
2. Do I have to add chems if I do my weekly pwcs?
3. Are there any negative side effects to adding iodine?

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"I do not presently dose iodine to my aquarium, and do not recommend that others necessarily do so either. Iodine dosing is much more complicated than dosing other ions due to its substantial number of different naturally existing forms, the number of different forms that aquarists actually dose, the fact that all of these forms can interconvert in reef aquaria, and the fact that the available test kits detect only a subset of the total forms present. This complexity, coupled with the fact that no commonly kept reef aquarium species are known to require significant iodine, suggests that dosing is unnecessary and problematic.
For these reasons, I advise aquarists to NOT try to maintain a specific iodine concentration using supplementation and test kits."

But don't u need to dose iodine for shrimp? Or any other molting critter?

I've used ro mixed salt in so I guess u mean the right salt will have the right amount of iodine?

Hocky puck said:
I've used ro mixed salt in so I guess u mean the right salt will have the right amount of iodine?

The salt mix u are using will work. Exactly what I'm saying. Just keep ur tank clean and parameters in line and nature will do the rest.., :)

Kio707 said:
The salt mix u are using will work. Exactly what I'm saying. Just keep ur tank clean and parameters in line and nature will do the rest.., :)

Ive had colonies of pom pom xenia for years now and probably sold and traded at least 30 stalks in past year never once dosed iodine xenia do like a lil nitrate in the water sudden decrease will sometimes cause them to shrivel

Also have a tank full and never dose anything, but Xenia's can grow like weeds and then 1 day start to shrink up and poof can be completely gone in a week or two (without any changes in your tank). They either thrive or nothing. Wait 6 months try them again and they usually take off again. It seems like once they start to shrivel, they are hard to save.

Back
Top Bottom