Iron rich substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J. Fisher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When using an iron rich substrate such as eco complete or fluorite, I would assume that testing the iron levels in the water would be futile. The iron being in the substrate rather than in the water column. Is this true?

Assuming that all of my plants draw nutrients from the substrate, should I dose liquid iron even when using an iron rich substrate

its always futile to test iron in the water. The amounts we need for healthy plants are so low that any inexpensive test kit isn't accurate enough. They often don't register until 0.5ppm, well above what we need (and overdosing iron seems to bring on long thread algae for most).

Eco complete isn't that iron rich...it just holds and distributes nutrients very readily. flourite (and laterite, an additive) is iron rich and slowly dissolves over the decades, releasing iron to the roots.

If your tank is very high light, CO2 injected, you'll likely need to add a bit of iron to the water column as well. I use Flourish Iron a couple times per week, about 1 capful, for my 75 gallon. I also have some iron in my trace, Plantex CSM+B, and that's dosed on different days than iron.

Iron oxidizes pretty quickly in the aquarium, so its best to add a little 2-3 times a week, and unless you're seeing iron deficiency symptoms in your plants (http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm) you can assume your iron is fine. Its only a trace, not a macro, so relatively easy to maintain.

just to jump in...thanks malkore for the link thats what i have been looking for the past couple of days and you just found it for me :D

Back
Top Bottom