Irregular white blotches on anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

My tank at work (10gallon dwarf puffer) has a huge anubias plant I've broken into several smaller plants. The tank has been set up for a couple months and it gets weekly 50% water changes. Unfortunately the water here at work has something that kills snails (and so I don't want to chance it with the puffer). Because of this I bring water from home and mix it with distilled water at work here. To avoid lugging 10 gallons every 2 weeks I use a 20% mixture from home (ie 20% water from home, 80% distilled).

Obviously this makes the water pretty soft, but I regularly add small amounts of fertilizer (CSM+B, potassium, nitrAte, calcium, phosphate, magnesium).

The problem is I keep having algae and deficiency issues in the tank. I've been dosing 1ml of Excel to combat the algae (thinking it was possibly a CO2 deficiency since the upper leaves are pretty close to the surface and get the full 17w), but now I'm not sure that is the case.

I chose the anubias since it is basically a decoration (doesn't grow fast enough to require frequent trimming). But now I've begun to see these irregular white splotches on some of the leaves. Some are very smal like a rice grain, while others are larger, but again irregularly shaped. I've seen these before in my higher light, CO2/fert tank at home, but was never able to figure out what is causing it.

I'm thinking its a trace nutrient that is in low supply in my tap water, and made even more sparse due to the 20% mixture in this tank.

I've thought of using Flourish Comprehensive since it has more traces than CSM+B, but wanted to first check whether anyone has seen this before in their tanks (ie, some trace element rarely deficient such as Mn).

Thanks in advance for the help.

That's a new one to me. I usually see yellowing and curling on Anubias leaves when trace/Fe is low. What species of Anubias is it and do you have any pics you could post?

That's a new one to me. I usually see yellowing and curling on Anubias leaves when trace/Fe is low. What species of Anubias is it and do you have any pics you could post?

It's anubias barteri and I'll try to grab a pic when I go into work today to feed the puffer. And that's what I thought, and the reason I think it might be some crazy micro that is never mentioned because it doesn't become a problem...

Travis,

Long story short I forgot my camera this weekend. I'd just as soon cut a leaf off, take it home and snap a pic, but other than the blotches the affected leaves look healthy. For right now you'll just have to take my word for it, I'll see if I can get one later.

Back
Top Bottom