Is 520w of power compact lighting enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Lick Salt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have two of the 4 x 65w CurrentUSA fixtures over my tank, which equates to 520watts total. My question is, is this enough lighting for two clams, some SPS, and soft corals? Do i HAVE to get a metal halide? Do the actinics in this fixture count?

Thanks!

I'm anxious to see the pros answers on these. MH aren't going to fit under my canopy and I'd love to just be able to double my fixtures to solve my lighting dilemma. I just don't see that 8 of the same bulbs is going to give you the same light penetration at (in my case) 24" as a MH...

Pros? What say thee?!

that is a lot of light. I would say you should be able to keep pretty much anything you want. It really depends on the clams and sps you plan to keep.

It really depends on the clams and sps you plan to keep.
There are a few "low" light SPS you could keep-pocillopora,hydnophora, montipora, stylophora, pavona are some. There are also a few "low" light clams also like Derasa, Squamosa. True high light corals like Crocea clams, and Acropora SPS need more intensity then fluorescents can provide. You'll need a HID lamp like MH for those. 520watts provides you w/ many options :wink:
By the way Phyl, I've never claimed to be a pro :lol:

By the way Phyl, I've never claimed to be a pro

No, but hanging around here since August of '03 you've probably read, done or battled many of the issues that us Newbie's are faced with on an ongoing basis! Maybe I should have said Lifers? Long timers? Old Timers? LOL!

Any other advice on this topic? If I MUST dish out the money for a metal halide system, I'll do it. I just want to know if this amount of light is enough to make things grow and stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom