Is a 10 gallon tank harder than a 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seanfish777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering what the difficult level is if you get a smaller tank, i was planning on getting a 10 or 20 gallon because i currently have a 37 gallon tank and it is not as difficult.
So would a 10 or 20 gallon be easier??

I am starting this hobby with a 6 gallon... nothing is terribly hard if you do your research first. ;) Also, you can ask questions here if anything weird happens.

With larger tanks you have a bigger margin for error - this is especially important in saltwater, when trying to keep levels at an exact place. However, maintenance on larger tanks is "harder" than on smaller tanks. In freshwater, small tanks aren't nearly as bad, I have found my nano tanks easy to maintain. The only big downside to smaller FW tanks IMO is the limited stocking.

I was just wondering what the difficult level is if you get a smaller tank, i was planning on getting a 10 or 20 gallon because i currently have a 37 gallon tank and it is not as difficult.
So would a 10 or 20 gallon be easier??

It would be harder. This is because in such a small tank, water quality and parameters can change suddenly. Hopefully someone who knows a little more will chime in

It would be harder. This is because in such a small tank, water quality and parameters can change suddenly. Hopefully someone who knows a little more will chime in

The main thing is stocking - don't overstock and it won't be hard to keep water quality in check. The only thing I've found is that if say, soap gets in a tank, a little amount of soap will have a much greater effect in a nano tank than it will in a larger tank. I have had some experience with this, one time I accidentally rinsed sand in a soapy bucket. I used the sand in my 55g and my 5g. All the 55's inhabitants were fine, but half of the 5's inhabitants died. (They would have all died had I not taken them out when I did) The main thing with smaller tanks is to just not overstock - don't do that, keep a good pwc schedule, and you'll be fine. Saltwater on the other hand, is a whole other story :cool:

The main thing is stocking - don't overstock and it won't be hard to keep water quality in check. The only thing I've found is that if say, soap gets in a tank, a little amount of soap will have a much greater effect in a nano tank than it will in a larger tank. I have had some experience with this, one time I accidentally rinsed sand in a soapy bucket. I used the sand in my 55g and my 5g. All the 55's inhabitants were fine, but half of the 5's inhabitants died. (They would have all died had I not taken them out when I did) The main thing with smaller tanks is to just not overstock - don't do that, keep a good pwc schedule, and you'll be fine. Saltwater on the other hand, is a whole other story :cool:

I know I can learn a lot from you.... but... your... cat... is.... sooooo..... distracting.... :blink:

Back
Top Bottom