Is a dwarf gourami big enough to eat neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have what I thought was a nice peaceful community tank. The biggest fish in there are a dwarf gourami and a swordtail. I also have guppies and zebra danios.

Anyway, I got 6 neon tetras and a few days later I'm down to 2. No corpses that I can see.

Any thoughts on who's eating them?

My best guess is the dwarf gourami or the swordtail.

i dont think the dwarf gourami ate them i had 15 neon tetras with 2 blue gouramies 2 dwarf gouramies and a big betta and 2 angels and nothing bother them, how big were the neons and how big is the sword tail ive seen some that are pretty big

Yes, he's a terrible brat. He even has a mean look on his face, which is why his name is Gimli lol. He ALWAYS chases the other gourami and harlequins away from the food so I usually have to let him eat and then chase him away. My other gourami is sweet as can be though, and I have to feed him by himself, or he would never get any food.

Yes, he's a terrible brat. He even has a mean look on his face, which is why his name is Gimli lol. He ALWAYS chases the other gourami and harlequins away from the food so I usually have to let him eat and then chase him away. My other gourami is sweet as can be though, and I have to feed him by himself, or he would never get any food.

wow one of mine was like that at first then they became best buddies and never fought again

Not sure if they are being eaten, a dwarf gourami can't dispose of 4 neons in a night.

Not sure if they are being eaten, a dwarf gourami can't dispose of 4 neons in a night.

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean it was over the course of one night. They just started disappearing. At first I thought they were hiding in the plants because they're small and easy to miss. Then when it got down a bit in numbers I realized someone was probably eating them.

I have been watching carefully and have not seen any bodies, which I assume I would have done if they'd just died. The ones that survived have not been distressed that I could see. I think someone's just snacking. Down to one now.

angel fish will eat neon tetras. It's how they roll.

I don't have any angels, though. Dwarf gourami, decent-sized sword, 4 fancy guppies, 4 lyretail danios and an upside-down cat who never comes out. And one lonely little neon, although, maybe not anymore. It seems to happen when I'm at work.

well if they get hold of them they are not fast swimmers and neons are,

You would be surprised at how fast they can be. Angels are a natural predator of neons. Both are from the same areas.

[edit] sorry about that. I got the original poster confused with someone else in the thread. If one of the gouramis is large, it may be the culprit. Otherwise, a lot of people have problems with neons dying. They are not as hardy as people think. [/edit]

Back
Top Bottom