Is a trickle filter a Necessity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently run a trickle filter on my tank. I have a 40 gallon tank with about 40 lbs of live rock. I currently run a HOB octopus skimmer as well. Is the trickle filter necessary? All it has is a sponge and a
bunch of bioballs. Would I be fine without it if I got maybe 10 more lbs of live rock?

Remove the bioballs and replace it with LR rubble. The bioballs will collect waste and cause your nitrates to rise. You could even put a small light over it add some macro an make it a DIY refugium.

It`s not a necessary item. LR and a skimmer is really all you need. If you could keep the sump area it would be a bonus as added water volume is a good thing.

Ok cool thanks guys. I think I'll just fill it with live rock rubble. I might get a little extra live rock too just to be safe. Although turning it into a refugium would be cool...

RYANLAWRENCE said:
Ok cool thanks guys. I think I'll just fill it with live rock rubble. I might get a little extra live rock too just to be safe. Although turning it into a refugium would be cool...

The possibilities are endless lol. I've seen pics of one made into a fuge, can't imagine its a huge difference but its better than nothing. I would put a sponge where the water comes in to slow the flow a little. Eggcrate at the outlet to keep the macro in. A small PC light and you're all set.

Back
Top Bottom