Is blasting sand safe for aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read that it was when doing my research. I got some rinsed it and have it in an empty tank ATM. I just found a site that says it is to sharp for some sifting fish and has iron in it so it is NOT inert. Anyone know?

THanks!
Jana

I'm using black diamond blasting sand along with a ton of other members on this forum and its fine. A sand sifter MIGHT have issues with it though. That I'm unsure of so another opinion would be good.

Blasting sand and PFS can be the same thing 9sharp sand) if they are #20 grit. Having some iron in it may not be a bad thing. You can check with a magnet, or magnetic screwdriver to see if there is any iron present. Play sand usually has iron in it also.

Thanks!

What are considered sand sifters? The only fish that I am debating in my future that may be in that class are corys (which I already have), loaches etc....

I have the Super Naturals white sand in my 28 gallon tank and HATE it. It packs in too tight and I keep getting dead spots. Looking for a replacement for it.

Jana

Back
Top Bottom