Is cloudy water due to sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
I've started cycling my 55 gallon today. I've had it stocked before for almost a year, but misfortunes befell, yada yada, it sat dry for a bit. Anywho, I'm setting it back up. The water looks clean but cloudy. I've had this same problem before with this same setup. It has an Emperor 400 bio-wheel HOB filter, and I'm using thoroughly cleaned rinsed, and rerinsed, and clean with white vinegar playsand substrate. Its cloudy to the point that I cannot see through it if i try to look through it long ways. I'm assume its either a filter or substrate issue. what are your thoughts? anyone have this problem with playsand before? my tank with a fluval canister filter is crystal clear, I've got 2 other tanks with sand that each have HOB filters that are clear too, but the fluval is by far my best looking tank. Tried to attach pics. if they arent there let me know, that was a tad confusing. FYI the side shot looks like the water is green because my phone camera is junk and the lighting is terrible.

Attachments

• frontcloudy.jpg
    frontcloudy.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 74
  • sidecloudy.jpg
    sidecloudy.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 57
It's probably nothing, just the sand! :) I've had this too when I first started my 30gal, but the next day it was gone:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418032506.916874.jpg

Next day(s)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418032550.796003.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418032577.667392.jpg

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I've started cycling my 55 gallon today. I've had it stocked before for almost a year, but misfortunes befell, yada yada, it sat dry for a bit. Anywho, I'm setting it back up. The water looks clean but cloudy. I've had this same problem before with this same setup. It has an Emperor 400 bio-wheel HOB filter, and I'm using thoroughly cleaned rinsed, and rerinsed, and clean with white vinegar playsand substrate. Its cloudy to the point that I cannot see through it if i try to look through it long ways. I'm assume its either a filter or substrate issue. what are your thoughts? anyone have this problem with playsand before? my tank with a fluval canister filter is crystal clear, I've got 2 other tanks with sand that each have HOB filters that are clear too, but the fluval is by far my best looking tank. Tried to attach pics. if they arent there let me know, that was a tad confusing. FYI the side shot looks like the water is green because my phone camera is junk and the lighting is terrible.

Hi Harlow. It is most likely a 'bacterial bloom' it's common in almost every new cycle and is harmless. This is why you have seen this happen before. It will settle in a few days.

Google bacterial bloom for further information.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom