Is CO2 needed for a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a 10 gallon tank with one potted java fern in it and a Giant hydro. They do ok, not great, just ok. They're staying the same and not really flourishing. I put the flourish tabs by Seachem in, but I can't tell a difference. I've heard of CO2, is it necessary? Aren't there tablets that fizz and stuff? I really don't know much about it. I want to get more plants but want to make sure these to ok first.

:morning:

CO2 Is Your Friend

CO2 is one of those wonderful chemical compounds that are really beneficial for aquatic plants. A fairly inexpensive way to go is to purchase the Hagen CO2 system. It's about $25 US and you really can't go wrong. You can go the DIY route as well. Regardless, CO2 is as important to plants as O2 is for us.

I've got a 10 gallon tank with one potted java fern in it and a Giant hydro. They do ok, not great, just ok.

First, let's talk light. How much light do you have over your 10 gallon? anything less than 2 wpg, co2 won't help. In your case, you'd want a 20 watt bulb MInimum, better if you could get 30 watts over the tank.

I can't remember what brand the bulb is, but I do remember that it's 2700K, I'll put the rest on when I get home tonight and can look at the box. Guy at LFS told me to leave it on @ least 12-15 hours per day.

:morning:

Back
Top Bottom