Is Fine Gravel Dangerous in a Freshwater Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPirateRoberts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of starting a 55gal freshwater tank and am wondering about what kind of substrate I should have at the bottom of my tank.

I have Cory Cats and heard that if the gravel is too corse, it could damage their barbels.

I also expect to have guppy fry in the tank that will have many places to hide. But I have noticed them burrowing into the gravel and getting trapped.

I'm thinking a finer type of gravel is in order. However, I have heard that having too fine of a substrate could trap unwanted toxins within.

Any advice for a newbie to this forum?
:)

How about pool filter sand ? That would work great. However, like the finer gravel it could lead to anaerobic bacteria buildup so you'd need to have MTS (snails) or cut through the sand with something (an unbent hanger or such) one in awhile.

pool filter sand
pea gravel
tahitian moon sand

as long as its not super sharp/jagged it shouldn't bother corys

Or 2-3mm gravel would work. Look for the kind with quartz in it, which I think is pretty smooth. I have cories in 2 of my tanks with regular gravel and they are fine. Some have a little shorter barbels, but no infections. I have regular natural color 2-3mm gravel from Walmart in my 29g with my Pandas and they are just fine! The gravel in my 55g is a little bigger, but haven't had anything go wrong in a year.

You could try the pool filter sand. It is a bigger grain sand, so won't compact as easily, but I'd still run my fingers through it every now and then to uncompact it.

Thank you for the info, everyone! I appreciate it. I have some researching to do.

~ Brad

PS - Ever wish you were working on your aquarium and not at work right now? (I raise my hand.)

I have seen Caribsea "Peace River" gravel. It is just about the same courseness as pool filter sand. Fish could burrow through it easily and it wouldn't damage the cory's barbells.

Depending on which website you go to, Peace River is called sand or gravel. It's very pretty.

I would still stir it up once in awhile, though.

I have never had Tahitian moon sand, but I've read on some sites, as I was doing my own substrate research, that it is not recommended for bottom dwellers or burrowing fish.

Back
Top Bottom