Is floramax comparable to ecocomplete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Petsmart does not carry eco-complete and calling around I cannot find anyone in the Tulsa area that carries eco-complete. I read somewhere that floramax is acceptable. What say y'all?

Should I keep trying to find ecocomplete or just go with floramax? Also, for anyone that knows of a good mom and pop aquarium shop in the Tulsa area please let me know. The couple I have found are really more about saltwater. Petsmart is kind of limited in what they offer and their knowledge.

Plus, how deep does the substrate need to be for a planted tank? I have read it should be deeper in the back and taper down, but I am not sure how deep it should start and what would be the minimum etc.

Also, since pool sand is so much cheaper would there be any problem with the the majority of the substrate being sand with a small layer of ecocomplete or floramax on top? Or what other effective, but economical options might there be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eco-Complete is a superior substrate imo simply because the clay concentration is higher and allows for more replenishment of nutrients vital for plant growth. Flora Max however is certainly superior than just using PFS or another non-nutrient rich substrate.

You can try to layer the substrates but eventually they will all become 1 mixed up jumbled mess. That could actually be ok though as I have heard that the floramax can be difficult to plant in. Mixing in PFS might aid in planting stem plants and the like and getting them to stay put until the roots develop and take hold.

You could just use PFS, and have a great planted tank. There are benefits to using products like flora max, eco complete, aquasoil, etc, but many folks have great success with aquarium gravel or PFS only. I exclusively use aquasoil in my fw tanks now, but previously I have kept lush planted tanks with nutrient poor substrate with great success.

Eco-Complete is a superior substrate imo simply because the clay concentration is higher and allows for more replenishment of nutrients vital for plant growth. Flora Max however is certainly superior than just using PFS or another non-nutrient rich substrate.

You can try to layer the substrates but eventually they will all become 1 mixed up jumbled mess. That could actually be ok though as I have heard that the floramax can be difficult to plant in. Mixing in PFS might aid in planting stem plants and the like and getting them to stay put until the roots develop and take hold.

You could just use PFS, and have a great planted tank. There are benefits to using products like flora max, eco complete, aquasoil, etc, but many folks have great success with aquarium gravel or PFS only. I exclusively use aquasoil in my fw tanks now, but previously I have kept lush planted tanks with nutrient poor substrate with great success.

Ok, thanks.

I assume pfs stands for pool ???? sand?

Pool Filter Sand,good luck with your new setup..

I thought it might mean filter, but I was wondering if there was an aquarium world term I was not thinking of. I actually worked as a pool tech for over 10 years. I have a tendency to automatically revert back to that knowledge of water chemistry and filtration, but I make a conscious effort to resist assuming anything between the two. Even though they both deal with safe water, they are totally different animals.

You can order EC online from Petco, or from Amazon. Last I checked it was about $20 for a 20lb bag on Amazon.

Last year I ordered Ecocomplete for about $16/bag from Petco.com with free shipping. I think shipping's free on orders over $49.

Last year I ordered Ecocomplete for about $16/bag from Petco.com with free shipping. I think shipping's free on orders over $49.

That will work. So how much would I need? What is the depth needed for ecocomplete? two inches? three? My 60 gallon tank is 13 inches, by 48 inches.

Back
Top Bottom