Is having bad luck with almost everything... what am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I started a freshwater aquarium about 3 months ago. The first three fish in there were platys - all from a Petco near me that at the time did not seem to have a problem with finrot. Well, the platys were fine for a few weeks. When I first got them, the sunset seemed to have trouble acclimating and stayed at the bottom of the tank, gasping. I put in a bit of salt the next day, he perked up and was fine (all 3 fish were boys).

I also had a male betta from petsmart (I will not buy from petsmart or petco again >_<). He was living in a small gallon tank, and I bought him a separate ten gallon with a filter and heater. All was well here.

I tried putting the betta with the platys, but he tried to attack so I immediately separated them. I got two small corydoras for the betta, and he left them alone. Remember, the betta had his own aquarium, the platys had theirs. Due to a stupid mistake of my own, the male betta started to show signs of dropsy (either water temperature change or poor water quality). I quarantined him, but unfortunately shortly after, he died. One of my panda platys began to do this strange thing where he "backed up" into the other platys. The sunset moved away from him and chased him off everytime. Even with good water quality, the panda's fins began to fray. He stopped eating, and seemed to also display slightly raised scales (it was hard to tell because of his coloration). You can guess what happened to him. My sunset started this strange "backing up" behavior himself after about a week, and also stopped eating. He'd spend most of his time by the heater, very near to the surface, sometimes with his tail down and head up. He seemed "twitchy." This lasted quite a while; regardless, he never recovered and died after about three weeks. Immediately after, my remaining platy started hanging around the bottom of the tank. He flashes. Could this be parasites? Do I need to tear this aquarium down and start over again? My two corydoras, along with a female betta ( a new betta), are just fine in their separate tank. Both tanks are planted, though my betta/cory tank is more heavily planted than the platy one. Because of the plant matter, hornwort needles, etc. I make water changes quite frequent, about 50% a week. I also will vacuum up uneaten food every other day or so (which happens quite often since the fish in the platy tank doesn't eat anymore. Sometimes he'll show interest, take a nibble, but that's it).

Water parameters:

Temp: 80 degrees
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Possibly 0, suspected under 5 ppm

I use API liquid test kits.

I changed the filter yesterday, but didn't scrub anything. There is are these tiny white bubbles that congregate on the needles of hornwort near the filter - I thought these were just trapped oxygen bubbles however.

Did you ever cycle you tank? Your nitrates should stay around 40ppm in a well cycled tank.

You should never changer your filter unless it's falling apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Nitrate should be kept under 40 ppm IMO.

You do have detectable nitrate, correct? What filter are you using? Did you change out all the filter media at once? Try not to get discouraged, we have all been there at some point.

My filter is a Tetra Whisper pf 10. It came with the tank kit =/ I changed it because after using melafix, there seemed to be a slight film on the water. The filters are the carbon kind, should I take the carbon out? I rinsed them under water like it says you're supposed to, so I don't think its the dust from it that could be causing this. There are also ceramic rings in there, though they've grown essentially nothing... a few are slightly browned, though I must say they've only been in there for a month and a couple of weeks. In my other aquarium, the one that's been up for the full 3 months, the rings are nice and grungy looking. Should I transfer some of these rings over to the other tank that isn't doing so well? I thought that toxins wouldn't be a problem if I changed the water enough and only kept a few fish. When I try to measure nitrates using the test kit, it shows up as yellow - slightly darker than 0 ppm, but still yellow. Are my plants using the nitrate that does show up? I have a bushel of hornwort and a small amazon sword in there.

Also, should I take the carbon out of the filters and just use the floss from now on?

Thread Closed

Actually, don't worry about it. Thanks for the bit of help I did receive. If worst comes to worst, I'll try one more time. Maybe I should try something other than fish. I don't think my tank was finished with cycling. I may get rid of all my tropical equipment and try coldwater species, or just use the tank for a whole different type of critter. Thanks, and good bye.

Keeping aquariums are many things, but not a problem free hobby. I can't count the number of problems I've had with them.

The right filter media really helps. Once I got Chemi-pure elite, things were a lot easier. It absorbs nitrates, phosphates, odors, toxins, etc. It's like a giant plant filter and carbon filter combined and only needs to be replaced onces every six months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom