Is is feasible to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ariamus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...build a glass aquarium in one's basement?

When my goal of "1000 gallons of aquariums" approaches it's final phase, I will run into a huge logistical problem. The plan is to set up a very large reef aquarium in my finished basement. The logistical problem is due to the fact that it will be impossible to bring even a 250 gallon aquarium into the basement of my 100 year old victorian. Whatever winds up going in there will have to be constructed on site. Is this a feasible option or is my dream destined to remain just that?

Not sure what you mean...but to be honest, I have no idea how much it will cost me to build a 500-600 gallon aquarium myself.

I do know that I can be at 163 gallons in under $1500...to date:

75 Gallon has cost me about $800
30 Gallon has cost me about $300
2x29 Gallon tanks (which sit empty) have cost me $40 (wood stands, equipment, and livestock is where I get the remaining $360 to get to $1500)

The only issue that I would see is the weight that it will place on the foundation. I realize that it's in the basement, but calculate the amount of weight that will be placed on the basement floor. That's one hefty load. The concrete could crack. It will take lots of planning to distribute the weight so there isn't too much pressure on the floor in one spot. Sounds like a great idea though!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom