Is it a button polyp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a button polyp that shared living quarters on a piece of live rock when I bought another coral. I initially thought, wow. Two for one! Then, I noticed, over the next few weeks, that they had detached themselves from the original piece and started growing all over the tank. It's a bit late to try and kill them off one by one, as it would be a lost cause I think. I don't have a pic of it, but it looks remarkably like a button polyp, but the fingers are chubbier. Color is a hue of purple, with a central dot (just like a button polyp). It attaches to anything, even other corals! ARGH!!! Any ideas? I am sure it isn't Aiptasia.

The one in the picture is much prettier than mine. The ones I've got are kinda plain looking. But by the sound of it, it's probably a variant of something like that. It just occurred to me that it does have a "suction" like base. Maybe it's time to invest in some joes juice. Does joes juice kill nearby corals?

Just looked at your link with all the pics. It looks remarkably like a plain zoo. But they shouldn't be floating around and spreading like that right?

Definitely not aiptasia, and not hydroid. I took a pic of it earlier as best I could with my cam, but sadly, kinda blurry. I'll try and post it tomorrow when I get home from work. Thanks for suggestions.

It's a Majano Anemone!!! Good call Kurt! I looked up some other pics online, and not all of them have the pretty tips. Some look like plain old zoos. Now, I've got some in a 2.5 gallon pico. What's the best way to get rid of them? I'm afraid of killing my mushrooms and star polyps...:(

Joe's Juice. Just follow the directions, and turn off your powerheads and circulation when you're doing it.

I've also had good luck with Blue Life Aiptasia Control for aiptasia, which is just kalk paste (I think.) I think it works for both aiptasia and majanos. But Joe's Juice seems to be the cat's meow when it comes to this stuff.

Alright, I've put scissors to the nasty little critters. One of them actually POPPED and sent juice squirting everywhere. Nasty...I think my mouth was open and everything! :shock:

I scraped off as much of the majano as I could and dug the scissors in real good into the rock to get any remnants. Hope this will do the trick. :uzi:

Alright, I've put scissors to the nasty little critters. One of them actually POPPED and sent juice squirting everywhere. Nasty...I think my mouth was open and everything! :shock:

I scraped off as much of the majano as I could and dug the scissors in real good into the rock to get any remnants. Hope this will do the trick. :uzi:

Ohhh.... that's not good. I think in about 2-3 weeks you'll have learned your first lesson on how NOT to deal with aiptasia or majanos.

Mechancially removing aiptasia and majanos just tend to spread them all over the place. Really... get some Joe's Juice. You'll need it in a few weeks.

YIKES....Well that will be a serious learning lesson. Joe's Juice is one of the best ways to get rid of those nasties.

Joe's Juice is just CaOH2 so spend less and get more by buying a small tub of calcium hydroxide ;)

Back
Top Bottom