Is it a slug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mynightmare1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found this in my tank when I turned the lights on this morning can any one tell me what it is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388701720.396713.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388701747.318667.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388701770.362313.jpg he is all frilly an looks to be upside down ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388701892.832782.jpg
Ok so I could not resist I put my hand in an turned it over Well I'm glad I did I think it was having trouble doing it it's self an now is crawling all over the glass. It seems to be a frilly slug

Could be a type of black limpet. I almost bought one a few weeks ago. Or could be a nudi branch or one of those huge flatworms that are bad for your tank.... Can you get a pic of it NOT upside down?

That is neither a nudibranch or a flatworm. I had one of these show up in my tank and I freaked, mostly because it took awhile to ID it. I eventually grabbed it and threw it into another tank and accidentally murdered it...though at the time I thought it was for the best. I can't recall the name...I'll look into it when I get home.

I just found this
http://www.seaslugforum.net/images/c126470a.jpg

Scutus is not a slug but a marine snail with a white shield-like shell on its back.
The shell is usually covered by flaps of the mantle, but they sometimes withdraw slightly to expose part of the shell
It belongs to the family Fissurellidae which includes the Slit-Limpets and Keyhole Limpets
so named because their limpet-shaped shells have either a slit or apical 'keyhole' to allow the discharge of exhalant water from the mantle cavity.
Scutus has just a notched shell.
The Australian species, Scutus antipodes, grows to over 12cm in length.

Back
Top Bottom