Is it ok to run a filter part time??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Binners

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wondering if its fine to run my filter during the day and turn it off at night?? Its an 8Gal/35l tank and the filter that came with it is too noisey (its in my bedroom) just wondered if I have the option of turning it off whilst I sleep and straight back on firsth think in the morning?? I'll have a few plants and have a few Guppies + shrimp but im currently cycling.

My other option is to try get a decent branded filter thats gonna be quieter like maybe a fluval u2.

What are your thoughts??:confused:

EDIT: Just thought, if i'm running it part time, would I need a bigger filter anyway to give it a chance to catch up with the work that wasn't done through the night??

I'd go the new filter route. Very bad things can happen such as nitrate spikes, mini cycles, and low oxygen/hi co2 if the filter is off for long periods. If your media dies off, you might have to re cycle. These are kind of the extremes, but I wouldn't risk it.

If you just started, you'll get used to it ime. Aquaclears are usually recommended (I think the 20 for you) although I only have experience with penguins and emperors (the old version)

cool, cheers for that. I was all for getting the new filter yesterday when I finished work but my dad suggested just turning it off, thought he was crazy and you've just proved it lol.

Ive already read posts about swapping out filters so ill just follow those guides and keep an eye on my cycling. Probably keep both filters in for a while but use the loud one just through the day until the new filter gets established

The other big thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if the filter media dries out over night all the bacteria will die off (Edit: I guess krap mentioned it, too early yet). I would recommend getting a new filter also.

Right, just got home with a Fluval U2, plugged it in + its absolutely silent!!! Seems like a touch of overkill for my tank size but its worth it so I can sleep at night. Gonna run it with noisey one through the day for a while until its nicely established

My filters make more noise when the water level falls below a certain point. After I top it off or do my water change it is silent again. I actually like the sound of the filter running, it is relaxing :)

you can take the filter media out of the noisey one and put it in front of the media in the new filter to seed it faster.

I'll have a few plants and have a few Guppies + shrimp but im currently cycling.

Are you cycling with fish? Thats generally not a good idea. I know petstores will say that guppies are good for cycling, but the ammonia will harm them. I've cycled with fish before, and now I feel really bad about it :( I'd recommend returning the fish if you can and doing a fishless cycle.

--Adeeb

nah, thats meant to read as " im currently cycling, once thats done I'll have a few plants, a few Guppies + shrimp"

Back
Top Bottom