is it wise to mix african cichlids from different lakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mar_att1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i already posted a post about cichlid combinations but i'm getting concerned about whether i can or cannot mix cichlids coming from different lakes together (malawi/tanganyka).

naturally, their temperament will be taken into consideration, however i dont know whether they will react differently to one another if they are mixed.

has anyone done this with success?

I suppose I've always been a purist when it comes to mixing the Rift Lakes; I've never been a fan of the practice. IMO, you're dealing with differing behaviours and levels of territorial aggressiveness, and it's best to keep those factors out of the mix.

With that being said, plenty of people do it, and I suppose some are even able to pull it off. But I think you'd be selling yourself short (not to mention the fish as well) when mixing species, because you won't be able to see the true behaviour of certain species when they are mixed with inhabitants of other Lakes.

it can be done but avoid it if possible.

i have 2 new africans in my 55 gallon. the guy at the store told me both of them were from lake malawi when i bought them. i got home and put them in my tank. they're about an inch each

well when i got on the internet afterwards to look up information on them, i found out only one of them is from malawi, the other one is from lake tanganika. so far both are behaving great, barely even bothering eachother but it's only been a few days...i'm debating on whether or not i should take one of them back, but they both seem sooooo cool! lol

i guess i'll see how things turn out when they get bigger

It depends of the species in question, and the tank size. I have yellow lab's and Julies together in a 55, both have spawned successfully, though only 1 Julie and 2 lab fry have survived long enough to be off the menu. I haven't seen any damage to either species, though I did see a lab and a Julie facing off with open mouths a couple days ago.

is it wise to mix african cichlids from different lakes?
Is it wise? No. Has it been done with various levels of success? Yes.

Aside from temperament, overall hierarchical differences and breeding behaviors, the food requirement may be different. I always err on the side of caution and do not even mix Haps and Mbuna from Lake Malawi (now that I know what I am looking at). Since you are in the beginning stages of setting up your tank, there is plenty of time to decide on which Lake you want to base your stocking list on. Keep in mind that fish keeping is a life long hobby and there is plenty of time to keep other fish at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom