Is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am considering about getting a eheim 2217 in addition to my aquaclear 110 for my 55g tank. Since I intend to add african cichlids soon, I thought it might be a good idea.

So I found an eheim 2217 for $100. It is 8 months old and the person is selling it because the seal of the tank broke.

I was able to negotiate down to $80, and I was wondering if it is worth it. It is fully functional and but apparently it does not include the media. (How much is the filter media?) And would it be worth it?

I know that there is a brand new one on Big Al's for $130.

Also, the guy is selling his fluval 405 for the same price, so another question raised is, fluval 405 or eheim 2217?

Ok, so I just bought it for $80 today. Now my question is, what should the media consist of? I came across a website Eheim Classic Canister Cleaning Instructions where it claims that it should consist of EhfiSynth, EhfiSubstrat, EhfiFix and EhfiMech. Now I did some research and that came out to be quite expensive in regards to media. And if I buy those media in accordance to how much I need, it would have cost me more than a brand new eheim 2217 at bigal's for $130 which includes the starter media.

Do I really need everything there? Are there cheaper alternatives that is just as beneficial to the tank?

This eheim 2217 will be additional to my aquaclear 110 that is still running on my tank with a sponge and biomax media.

Also, the filter came with a black sponge which I am not sure matches the description of the above.

Cornstar said:
Ok, so I just bought it for $80 today. Now my question is, what should the media consist of? I came across a website Eheim Classic Canister Cleaning Instructions where it claims that it should consist of EhfiSynth, EhfiSubstrat, EhfiFix and EhfiMech. Now I did some research and that came out to be quite expensive in regards to media. And if I buy those media in accordance to how much I need, it would have cost me more than a brand new eheim 2217 at bigal's for $130 which includes the starter media.

Do I really need everything there? Are there cheaper alternatives that is just as beneficial to the tank?

This eheim 2217 will be additional to my aquaclear 110 that is still running on my tank with a sponge and biomax media.

Also, the filter came with a black sponge which I am not sure matches the description of the above.

You can use poly-fill from walmart, ceramic bio-rings and blue bonded cut to fit filter pads available in a pet shop or on amazon. You can also get a filter media bag for carbon along with carbon almost anywhere, The black sponge may be okay to use as long as it's in good shape.

I would grab some of the EfhiSubsrat, filter floss, and ceramic bio-rings, and use the sponge or get a new one

How much of efhisubstrat and ceramic bio rings would I need? And what kind of ceramic bio rings should I get? :eek:

Cornstar said:
How much of efhisubstrat and ceramic bio rings would I need? And what kind of ceramic bio rings should I get? :eek:

The Fluval bio rings are what I've always used (in Fluval, Eheim and Rena canisters). They work as well as any other, they don't break or crumble and they're a steal online.

One box will be plenty. I put them in a carbon media bag so they're always a cinch to take out and clean in old tank water. If you find you need more at any time you can always add more.

The Fluval bio rings are what I've always used (in Fluval, Eheim and Rena canisters). They work as well as any other, they don't break or crumble and they're a steal online.

One box will be plenty. I put them in a carbon media bag so they're always a cinch to take out and clean in old tank water. If you find you need more at any time you can always add more.

Thanks :), do you mean the 500g box? Also, where do you find a carbon media bag? :eek: Or how does it exactly look like?

I am about to order 3L of ehfisubstrat and 500g of fluval biomax biorings. Can someone confirm that this would be enough? Or should I cut down on the ehfisubstrat?

Cornstar said:
Thanks :), do you mean the 500g box? Also, where do you find a carbon media bag? :eek: Or how does it exactly look like?

Yep, that's the one. A media bag kinda looks like a small bag made out of white pantyhose (which is what people actually used to use). They have either a drawstring or a clip to close the open end and cost anywhere from about 2-6 dollars. For ceramic rings any medium-large one will be fine. It doesn't need to be expensive. They sometimes even come in a two pack. You can get one at any fish shop or online.

Yep, that's the one. A media bag kinda looks like a small bag made out of white pantyhose (which is what people actually used to use). They have either a drawstring or a clip to close the open end and cost anywhere from about 2-6 dollars. For ceramic rings any medium-large one will be fine. It doesn't need to be expensive. They sometimes even come in a two pack. You can get one at any fish shop or online.

Thanks! Would you happen to know if Dr Foster and Smith sells this sort of bag? If so do you think you can find me the link or a keyword I can search?

Cornstar said:
Thanks! Would you happen to know if Dr Foster and Smith sells this sort of bag? If so do you think you can find me the link or a keyword I can search?

I send post from my iPod so I can't make links. Dr. Foster and Smith certainly has them. The last ones I ordered came from them. They shouldn't be hard to find. You can always call them to find the right one.

Can anyone confirm if 2L of ehfisubstrat would be enough? Or would I need more?

Also, do I need the Coarse Media or the Fine media things?

Cornstar said:
Can anyone confirm if 2L of ehfisubstrat would be enough? Or would I need more?

Also, do I need the Coarse Media or the Fine media things?

It'll be plenty. I prefer to use polyfill over the fine Eheim media but you can certainly use it. I just find it expensive.

CorallineAlgae said:
It'll be plenty. I prefer to use polyfill over the fine Eheim media but you can certainly use it. I just find it expensive.

What is poly fill? Is that the same as floss?

Back
Top Bottom