Is my Blue Shrimp pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syywong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These are the best pictures I can take. It's not super clear. It's been like this for few weeks. Are the yellow things on the legs "eggs"?? IMG_4359.JPGIMG_4362.JPG

I believe so. Congrats!

Thanks for replying. From what I read online, the eggs should hatch in about a month. It's already close to a month but the eggs are not getting any bigger. Why is that?

Look so to me also! Congratulations

Because I am suspecting a batch of baby shrimps, I setup a new tank for the mom-to-be. My existing tank has fish that will likely eat the babies in no time.

I worry that the new tank is not as algae filled and well cycled/established (although I am trying very hard to cycle it, been at it for 2 weeks), the mom to be will be stressed out if I move it. Is there anything I can help with the move?

Thanks a bunch!

You should be able to move filter media from existing tank to new tank and take the bacteria with it. That will basically make new tank cycled. Just don't do it too soon without moving something in that will produce waste (shrimp, fish, etc) or the bacteria will starve if it's in too long without new waste to consume.

You should be able to move filter media from existing tank to new tank and take the bacteria with it. That will basically make new tank cycled. Just don't do it too soon without moving something in that will produce waste (shrimp, fish, etc) or the bacteria will starve if it's in too long without new waste to consume.

I thought of moving the filter media over from existing tank but what will happen to my existing tank? Sorry I have never done this before and I really don't want to screw up my existing tank just to setup the new tank.

I have been mixing in my existing tank water (during water change) to the new tank. I also have a big snail in the new tank to create waste.

I hope the snail waste is enough to grow the bacterias.

How long has existing tank been established? If it's been a while (2 months or more) there is probably more than enough bacteria on the decor in the established tank to put a brand new filter in and not miss a beat. I wouldn't worry about putting old water in new tank. Most of the bacteria you want is going to be growing in filter or filter media and rocks and decor that's been in older tank for a while, the water itself doesn't really have that much benefit. Not sure what type of filter you have but for example I have a 60g established tank with an HOB filter and I also have two sponge filters in there as well just in case I need to set up a tank quickly. I have actually taken the hob filter off walked it over to new tank just filled with tap water and "prime" conditioner, heater, etc and plugged it in and never had a problem. Same with sponges I just pull them out put in new tank and your good. Plus if your just moving one shrimp the bioload won't need a ton of bacteria to handle the waste.

How long has existing tank been established? If it's been a while (2 months or more) there is probably more than enough bacteria on the decor in the established tank to put a brand new filter in and not miss a beat. I wouldn't worry about putting old water in new tank. Most of the bacteria you want is going to be growing in filter or filter media and rocks and decor that's been in older tank for a while, the water itself doesn't really have that much benefit. Not sure what type of filter you have but for example I have a 60g established tank with an HOB filter and I also have two sponge filters in there as well just in case I need to set up a tank quickly. I have actually taken the hob filter off walked it over to new tank just filled with tap water and "prime" conditioner, heater, etc and plugged it in and never had a problem. Same with sponges I just pull them out put in new tank and your good. Plus if your just moving one shrimp the bioload won't need a ton of bacteria to handle the waste.

Thanks for the detail!!
Existing tank has been running since Nov 2016 so yes it's well established. I have a HOB Aquarclear filter which has a sponge that I can transfer to my new tank but the new tank has a much simpler HOB filter that has no space for the sponge. I will have to figure something out.

Good luck and congrats btw! My wife just bought a few shrimp for her planted tank yesterday hopefully one day I'll get to see what you're seeing, cool stuff.

I took a better picture of my "prego" shrimp. I really doubt those are eggs. Are they? IMG_4460.jpg

I have seen pics with eggs diff sizes shapes and color. I only have RCS so I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom